** SdKfz251/1D 1945 pattern **

Quite some time since the last one, so enjoy:

sdkfz2511dry8.jpg

The camouflage pattern is what I consider a more or less typical late war camouflage, according to my research. I have no actual photographs or references, it's just what I thought looked good within historical parameters.

I used Vossie's 251 mod as a starting point modified/added a lot of details including the running gear. Options (licence plates, tactical numbers plus special unit insignia)included. For additional information see the included "Readme.txt".

Those of you who remember this one: It's an updated version of my original mod, so go grab it again at CMMODS.

[ May 26, 2008, 04:06 AM: Message edited by: Earl Grey ]

Assuming that that camo pattern was used on halftracks (and I'm never comfortable assuming as I understand that the ambush pattern wasn't used on halftracks), it would be great to have variations on that pattern on all the different 251's and 250's. I mention variations because different units applied their own camo, and the guy in charge of the support vehicles probably had his men paint the stripes on differently from the guy in charge of the transport halftracks.

Doesn't have to be anything radically different, just not identical. Just be sure that was used on halftracks before you go crazy with it.

Ambush pattern? I don't see any dots here... ;)

It might be, though, that two of the current colors were actually reversed: RAL6003 Olive Green and RAl8012 Red Primer. Although I'm already planning on reverting those two for another 251 variant - so we get even more variation!

Ah, now I understand. Well, that is correct. At least I haven't seen any photographs yet showing a half-track wearing it. But there are some enthusiats who just like to have this pattern on every vehicle in the game - including the PzIII, Tiger I and Jagdpanther. And hey, they pattern just looks cool. ;)

Currently I'm only doing historical accurate camouflage patterns - as far as that is possible - but am planning on doing some 'fantasy' patterns as well.

• 3 months later...

I planned on doing that, yes. I'm not really sure, though, if I should just do the same pattern for all vehicles or variations of the above. Although more work, I'd rather do the rest with differrent patterns so you have some difference on the battlefield.

EDIT: Forgot to add that the SdKfz251/10 seems only to have been oficially produced and authorized (with very few exceptions) in 1943 an from 1944 on the SdKfz251/17 was intended to fulfill the same role. Which means it wasn't really intended as a AA vehicle, but as transport for the platoon leader and direct fire support. So I'd rather do that with a standard 3-tone pattern...

[ May 27, 2008, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: Earl Grey ]

Earl,

I also meant to ask if you were going to do the SPW 250 series in this pattern as well?

It's nice to have some small variation between the different models (ie. the 251/2 slightly different than the 1, and the 9 different from either) but it can get a bit trying. And I know!

I look forward to your future efforts.

DavidI

Well... the 250 series is definitely possible and planned. It's just that I have only so much time and I try not just to put some camouflage on an already existing mod, but get all the details as historically correct as possible - why I end up most of the time redoing at least 50% of an existing mod from scratch. If you compare - there's not much left of Vossie's mod in my version apart from some interior details and minor componentns. But that way I can at least call it mine, can I? ;)

Either way, I have a very special mod in the works you should DEFINITELY love - this time done 90% from scratch. It's an obsession, this virtual modelling. Stay tuned for another release!