Russian 85 mm AA Gun

While I can only hazard a guess, an 85mm AP round would just rip right through an airplane. It would go in one end and come right out the other. However, a HE round would explode cause much more widespread damage, fire etc. So in the end there isn't a need for AP. Just a guess to keep the thread up until someone comes along with 400 pages of technical data. smile.gif

Rexford,

Did a google search with "crash boom 85mm" and came up with a link from one of Valera's archived forums. This data was posted by Valera himself:

Soviet 85mm antiaircraft guns (both mod.1939 and mod.1944) used against heavily armored tanks WITH A BIG SUCCESS!

Ammo for 85mm AA gun model 1939 (52-K):

UBR-365K (AP with a sharp nose, muzzle vel.800 m/s);

UBR-367PK (sub-caliber of a reel form, muzzle vel.1050 m/s)

UBR-367P (sub-caliber, muzzle vel.1024 m/s)

Penetration with BR-365:

100 meters at 90/60 degrees -- 119/97 mm

500 meters at 90/60 degrees -- 111/91 mm

1500 meters at 90/60 degrees -- 93/76 mm

Ammo for 85mm AA gun model 1944 (KS-1):

UBR-366K (armor-piercing, muzzle vel. 870m/s)

UBR-367PK (sub-caliber, muzzle vel. 1050m/s)

Gentlemen, we may have a bug.

I tested December 1941 and 1943. Both had a load of AP. I went back to June 1944 and it was all HE. I know I have tried using the 85 mm AA gun another time and it was also all HE, so I stopped going to it. I could probably spend the next hour testing every combination of month and year to narrow down the problem, but I won't.

Do somefink.

I need a decent gun to fend off the Tigers and Panthers. I'm stuck with the over-priced 57 mm Zis 2. That is the only gun that stands a chance, and after the Tungston is gone, all hope is lost against the Tigers.

I've been playing spring/summer 1944 and can't get an 85 mm with HE. I tested June through October with no luck. Come November and the AP was back in the load.

This does not appear to be a supply issue, as one would think the summer months of 1944 were good to the Russians. I think it's a code problem, but have no way of knowing.

By the way, I played a quick battle against the computer last night with the 85 mm AP. The AA gun took out a Tiger at 600 m with a side shot. One shot one kill. Had I missed, and that Tiger squared-up, I fear the consequences for my entire force. It was 1943 and all I had were T-34s.

Just a bit of conjecture here, but might it be historically accurate to lose the AP. By the summer of 44 there were alot of 85mm equipped T34s floating about which used the AP ammo. While at the same time the number of german tanks on the front was decreasing, and the soviets were on the offensive. Given the state of mechanization in the soviet army in 44, I doubt they had too many resources to drive around very heavy AAA. Nor much need to.

IIRC, if you needed 85mm AA with AP you could add it in the editor in 44 as well.

WWB