Andrew Fox and helmet modders - reference photos of bread bag strap

Michael-

Groovy! I made a little progress with the breadbag strap a while ago, but the helmet model warping still rendered it unsatisfactory. These are great reference photos, though, so maybe I can give it another go.

Did I mention I was thinking of putting together a "Kraut Helmet Pack" with different variations (camo paint, covers, wire, foliage, et al.)? smile.gif

Mike, have have several pictures of German helmets in Russian but nothing that matches that heavy strapping. The Germans uses a large rubber band type to hold foliage or grass. They also have some netting but nothing I can find like this.

AndrewTF, good luck on the helmet idea. I have tried but the helmet bmp is stretched so badly that I played hell trying to get the straps or netting to ly straight. I wanted some various helmet designs for a CMMOS idea. But if anyone can get that right you just might be able to. If interested I can send you the files I have.

MikeT

Originally posted by AndrewTF:

Did I mention I was thinking of putting together a "Kraut Helmet Pack" with different variations (camo paint, covers, wire, foliage, et al.)? smile.gif

Did I mention I now want to have your babies? :eek: :eek: (physically impossible, yes, I know) :D

Originally posted by Mikser:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by AndrewTF:

Did I mention I now want to have your babies? :eek: :eek: (physically impossible, yes, I know) :D </font>

The bread bag strap was used to attach foliage; there are pictures in Squadron Signal's PANZERGRENADIERS IN ACTION, including the cover illustration by Ron Volstad, showing it used in this manner.

The strap was really, as the name suggests, used as a shoulder strap for the bread bag, when not worn as part of the battle equipment. It was rarely used for this intended purpose as far as I know, and certainly not in action - the bread bag was normally worn on the waistbelt over the right hip.

one question, is that a D.A.K. strap? I have a helmet that came fromthe africa corp, and it has one that is the same color. I also have a helmet from the western front that has a tire tube for a strap, It's sorta a brown color. And that bread bag strap in your pic is in realy good condition, lucky find on thst one, mine are in worse shape

DAK stuff is tricky. I'll start by saying I have no idea if this was DAK issue or not. However, many collectors see a piece of tan canvas or webbing and instantly try and sell it on ebay as 'Afrika Korps' issue, but the truth is that tan coloured webbing and canvas items were issued widely on the Continent also, and are not necessarily tropical issue.

The equipment captured in North Africa was by and large destroyed by the Allies IIRC, making genuine DAK items very rare indeed. I would suspect souvenir hunters would have picked up Iron Crosses, helmets, pistols and the like and discarded the mundane stuff like bread bag straps in any event, leaving little for us today to find. Unlike in the Soviet Union, there aren't many collectors sniffing out battle sites in North Africa to try and find loot like this. ;)

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Unlike in the Soviet Union, there aren't many collectors sniffing out battle sites in North Africa to try and find loot like this. ;)

Prolly more likely to come up with a lump of nuclear waste than anything else.

The russian equivalent of those crazy guys with metal detectors looking for coins must be guys roaming around with geiger counters looking for nuclear material to pawn smile.gif

Yes you are right, I picked up a lot of my WWII junk when I was in europe. The germans have a day where they put out all thier junk by the road and a truck comes by and picks it up. I was a "junk picker" and found a lot of my stuff in this junk. I found various things like mess kits, A few helmets, a gasmask in the cannister, to name a few. I just like asking questions and comparing things I see on the internet to try to get info on things I have picked up