Is this cheating?

Im in the middle of a pbem game, and there seems to be a lull in the email-exchange rate. Here's my canundrum:

There is a definite chance that my JS2 is going to have to square-off with a few panthers in the not to distant future. I would really like to win this one.

I'm a strictly double-blind kind of gamer, but do you suppose that it would be considered cheating if I set up a similar "model" of the pending square-off and ran through some practice shootouts?

It just feels kind of gamey-cheesy to do this. So I look to the forum for validation...

Well . . . kind of a gray area, but I think it'd be OK to run a few tests on your own time. If I was your opponent, I wouldn't mind. In fact, I might be busy running my own tests against JS2s. ;)

Gpig

P.S. You DO mean setting up a similar model in the editor, right? Not opening up a new version of the scenario and playing from there . . .

It would be nearly impossible to duplicate all the of same parameters and conditions. A second delay in target lock, or an extra 5 meters of distance between tanks, or a 1-2 degree shift in alignment, can be all the difference in the world in this game.

My advice, let them go H2H. Uncle Joe can always make more.

But your average tanker, who has probably been through some engagements, maybe received some instruction, etc., and whose life would depend upon it, would probably have some idea about whether a frontal shot from his tank would kill the opponent or not from the relevant range. This is not true of many CM players, so what is more realistic?

76mm

I do not see it as gamey as in real life the commander - assuming he is not conscript would have a good idea as to potential. Or possibly he believes still what he was told in training : ) Who knows it, is only a game.

I do not believe that I have done it but I do not have any problems with what you wish to do. The fact I am too lazy to do it is another matter. As Kingfish said there are so many variables in play that I would never bet on any test result happening for sure when translated to the game. You may however find that 9 out of 10 you die in which case I would tend to believe it. If you like you can share the information with the opponent - particularly if you play flipped engagements - thats very fair : )

Number One Rule: Bottom line its a game you and your opponent play for enjoyment and so you should do what you want.

Number Two Rule: Never cheat your opponent by opening scenarios, loading maps etc as that only cheapens you and may make the game so unpleasant for your opponent that he never plays you again.

Good points all. I think I better just see what happens in the scenario. It is, after all "just a game" so what's the worst that can happen?

It's amazing how the level of involvement in this game is such that a bit of bad luck will ruin a bit of my day if I let it. I really have to remind myself sometimes that at least I'm not the poor bugger getting shot at.

I would never get so worked up about a game though that I would dissect a scenario before or during a contest, just to get the upper hand. I have been politely accused of it though.

Originally posted by General Colt:

Ahh, what the heck its only a game.

But seriously folks...This whole game (CM) is about trying to match real life a s close as possible. In real life, during a fire fight, would a commander go test a cannon in a non-LOS part of the battle field? I think not. Do your testing when the battle is over.

Or, better, do rehearsals before the operation.

I can think of precisely one published wargame that includes the idea of rehearsals at all.

All the best,

John.