AI , mines, and various

Three questions for anyone:

Has anyone noticed the AI blindly charging through minefields belonging to it's own side?

Is there a way to prevent this?

When you are using the target line from AFV to AFV, is the kill chance based on what you believe it to be? Or if in reality it is something different under FOW, is it based on what it actually is?

Thanks

Originally posted by abneo3sierra:

Three questions for anyone:

Has anyone noticed the AI blindly charging through minefields belonging to it's own side?

I've seen it on very rare occasions, such as a routed unit retreating from enemy fire.

Is there a way to prevent this?
Destroy all the AI's units. It's the only way to be sure.

When you are using the target line from AFV to AFV, is the kill chance based on what you believe it to be? Or if in reality it is something different under FOW, is it based on what it actually is?

What do you mean by "what you believe it to be"?

I think what he means is "is the displayed hit percentage the real percentage used by the computer, or is it obscured or randomized by FOW somehow so that it is different from the value which will actually be used by the computer to calculate a hit".

I think the answer is that the displayed value is the value used by the computer to calculate the hit and there is no FOW. An interesting question though.

The kill chance can certainly be off. It can read "low" because the Tiger looks like a Pz IV, when the reality is "none", for example. I've also frequently seen IDs of 50mm front StuGs that actually has 30+50 fronts, with the ID suggesting penetration was possible - and the unit firing in consequence - when every shell bounced as expected.

In addition, the displayed kill chances do not take into account ammo weaknesses, so e.g. a 1943 Russian 85mm (on an SU-85 e.g.) can have a decent displayed kill chance, while the testing reality is one "shell broke up" result after another, for minutes on end.

Originally posted by JasonC:

In addition, the displayed kill chances do not take into account ammo weaknesses, so e.g. a 1943 Russian 85mm (on an SU-85 e.g.) can have a decent displayed kill chance, while the testing reality is one "shell broke up" result after another, for minutes on end.

That one is new to me. I wonder why, since the ammo weakness is reflected in the penetration tables. What else would the model be using if not the penetration tables?

He was saying that with FOW on, targets can be misidentified, and then the chance for destroying it also is misidentified..the chance you are looking at then is for the target you *think* is there. I had almost the same thing as his example happen (I think, won't know till it's over) and was wondering why a supposed good chance of kill, after 8 shots hadnt died yet

Can you not always tell the difference once they open fire, though? The long 75 sounds very distinctive, especially compared to the L48.

I'm sure that the way I always decide for myself is from the gun sound. A unit labelled as a 'Tiger?' but using the more subtle 'crash' of a 75L48 is clearly a Pz IV, etc.

Originally posted by Tux:

Can you not always tell the difference once they open fire, though? The long 75 sounds very distinctive, especially compared to the L48.

I'm sure that the way I always decide for myself is from the gun sound. A unit labelled as a 'Tiger?' but using the more subtle 'crash' of a 75L48 is clearly a Pz IV, etc.

Probably could, I just downloaded most new sounds though, and have not really figured them out yet, except some of the MGs. Will look forward to seeing what that was, for sure..killed 3 tanks and lost sight of it.