Full movie replay is here (sort of)

The latest PBEM Helper has support for viewing the full battle movie replay in Program / View Movie.

The file names must be in numbered format (three digits in the end, before .txt).

The password must be in clipboard (use Ctrl+C to copy it from some game).

Use hot keys:

F5: First turn

F6: Previous turn

F7: Next turn

F8: Last turn

F9: Quit

Normally turns 004 and 005 are the first movie turns for both players. If this game is a quick battle where both players have bought units, then add 2 extra setup turns.

How it is supposed to work?

When I select Program/View movie I first get that help screen, press NO because game was QB. Then I press OK to accept value 2. So far it works way I supposed it would.

Then I get normal file dialog to select turn file, here I was expecting it to select game from game list or something. What file should I choose? It would make sense to have to just select directory or something because in earlier window I gave enough information where to select right numbered file.

Anyway when selected file program just tries to open that turn normally, so on second time I selected 007 file in games subdirectory.

But function buttons do nothing, turn file is opened just normally. Tried while in playback and also tried after had pressed done.

I am using XP Pro if that might cause something.

It works fine for me under the following conditions:

- I played the games from the start in Fast Mode.

- The games were "scenario"s not QBs

- I made sure the password was on the clipboard (as per instructions)

- I pointed the "select game" dialog to the first 2+ file in the 2+ directory.

Then it played the movie, and I hit F7 and it played the next one. Worked for the two CMBB games I have going.

It did _not_ work for the CMBO QB I tried it on. In that case we switched to Fast Mode halfway through, so glory knows what chance there is of PBEMH figuring it out ;)

It's excellent - thanks Fuerte.

My game was played at normal speed, opponent didn't have PBEM helper.

And anyway with other opponent fast mode didn't seem to work.. I think it complained for example about my resolution (1400x1050) and just couldn't get damn thing to work long enough to do single commands.

Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

PS - as I mentioned in email to Fuerte, the one thing that would be much nicer is continuity of camera angle from one movie file to the next.

Does anyone know what determines the camera position and angle when you open a given movie file?

It is the same where it was left the last time you pressed 'go' after your plotting phase.

Originally posted by jKMkIII:

How it is supposed to work?

When I select Program/View movie I first get that help screen, press NO because game was QB. Then I press OK to accept value 2. So far it works way I supposed it would.

Then I get normal file dialog to select turn file, here I was expecting it to select game from game list or something. What file should I choose? It would make sense to have to just select directory or something because in earlier window I gave enough information where to select right numbered file.

Anyway when selected file program just tries to open that turn normally, so on second time I selected 007 file in games subdirectory.

But function buttons do nothing, turn file is opened just normally. Tried while in playback and also tried after had pressed done.

I am using XP Pro if that might cause something.

You have to choose the file so that you can view your opponent's movie as well, if you have the password. Also sometimes you don't have all the moves from the beginning, for example, so it can be handy to be able to choose the file where to start.

I have XP, and it works. smile.gif Just be sure to have the right password in clipboard, and you don't have to add those 2 turns, except when the game is a Quick Battle AND when you both purchased units. If you didn't buy units, then just click Yes, and select turn 004 or 005.

:( I just tried out the feature, but the function keys didn't give any respond. For record, I couldn't make the gamma correction feature of PBEMH work either. It might be the same reason.

My system is Windows ME, is anyone else with ME using Helper? Do these features work okay?

There was problem with program dropping "-" I had just before numbers, so of course it couldn't find turn file because it was looking for wrong name.

But everyone go to get newest version, movie replay is easy. And there is new log feature in menus that you can use to find out what is wrong smile.gif

Originally posted by Sergei:

:( I just tried out the feature, but the function keys didn't give any respond. For record, I couldn't make the gamma correction feature of PBEMH work either. It might be the same reason.

My system is Windows ME, is anyone else with ME using Helper? Do these features work okay?

The latest version complains if it can't initialize the hot keys, please try it.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to switch from Ti4200 to Radeon 9700, and the movie replay hot key response got much worse. Then I changed Direct3D (and OpenGL) options to wait for vertical sync Always On, and now the hot keys work very fast again. Apparently the display card is very busy drawing 3D images all the time, so that other processes don't get much processor time. It does not affect the 3D quality at all, it is as smooth as before. And it does not make much sense to draw the display while it is being painted to the screen, you can get unnecessary graphics artifacts in process (smearing).