Paratroopers

Originally posted by Chappie:

Know of any scenarios where this has been done? [/QB]

There is an Airborne Operation that pits the American initial drop against the Germans defending the village of St. Mere-Eglise. It's called HSG First Town Liberated. It depicts the 82nd Airborne liberating the first town in France during the invasion. It might interest you. You have to collect your scattered forces, take the village and defend it against German counterattacks.

It is at the Scenario Depot.

I used reinforcements landing in the middle of an open field to simulate helo landings in an "LZ X-Ray" scenario (Nam), using CMBO. Worked fine. The Americans had to be sure the LZ edges were clear of NVA at the scheduled arrival times, or they'd get caught in the open right after landing.

If you are designing a scenario and want to simulate paratroopers you might want to show them as "cautious" or "pinned" immediately upon arrival. This at least makes them vulnerable for some period of time to simulate the effect of a paradrop. Unfortunately if you have a platoon as a reinforcement it will drop in a relatively compact area so it is harder to simulate dispersion.

You might also have the reins land "randomly" to simulate the fact that paras don't always land when you expect them to land.

On my "to do" list is to make a crete scenario where the German reins arrive on the runway in a dispersed state and if you haven't cleared the covering guns away first they are likely to be massacred.

junk2drive - I don't see it on the sites, though I submitted it to one of them back in the day. But that was years ago and the sites have changed. There is a thread in the archives, the archive number 4, that discussed it. It doesn't have a link to the file. The thread title is -

CM in the Ia Drang?

And I was the starter.

I have the file somewhere but only on an old computer that I don't still use, that is not set up these days. You might have better luck with any of the people on that thread that asked for it, if they are still around. If there is no other way, eventually I do intend to raid my old clunker for such things, before I get rid of it. But I can't promise it will be soon. (It needs components added to be functional again - it is not a matter of plugging it in and firing it up).