Suggested solution for rare nationalities for CMAK

There a number of rare nationalities that would be part of CMAK that BFC have indicated they will not have time to model.

May I suggest a generic "other" with just a few infantry/support (MG, truck, light arty piece, mortar etc) types that can be combined with other nationalities to provided the few tanks and other special equipment. This would avoid having to use other units for them.

This would be necessary for only the allies.

Why would this be necessary? I mean, look at CMBO: they included even the Canadians [ducks]. As far as CMAK goes, if they bothered to include such things as the Finnish BT-42 into CMBB (I mean, has anyone ever used this to any success? In the game or IRL???), why wouldn't they do their job properly this time, as far as all relevant is concerned? Well, some Commonwealth allies maybe wouldn't get portrayed, but I fail to see any major difference between South Africans and Pommies [ducks again].

[ April 21, 2003, 06:45 AM: Message edited by: Sergei ]

On the obscure side, I'd like Greeks, Yugoslavs, Yugo Partisans, Chetniks, Croats, Bulgarians.

I want Indians, Gurkas, South Africans, New Zealanders, Australians, Canadians, Poles. I want Free French and Vichy French.

At least give me South Africans (what is Sidi Rezegh without South Africans?), Aussies (What is Tobruk without Aussies?), New Zealanders (What is Crusader without New Zealanders?) and Poles (what is Cassino without Poles?).

JasonC makes the point I was referring too. BFC has stated that not all nationalities were going to be modelled (I can understand why) so this would be a way to leave it open to designers to not have to fudge to much (ie the Jewish Brigade is representative by Aussies or what ever)

JasonC's excellent list of desired nationalities is long enough to suggest that we're inevitably going to end up with some nationalities that are desirable but not represented.

I'm guessing it's unlikely that BFC will include generic forces, but a related workaround would be to take another nationality that has similar units and let them "stand for" the desired nationality. Mostly these units will be infantry anyway, so we aren't talking about exotic vehicles specific to one nation. Modders will probably be busy modding a convincing look for these nationalities in short order.

I guess Ghurka's, for example, if not included, could be represented by somebody's infantry, appropriately modded (scenario designers could recommend a specific mod) and set at, say, crack or elite to represent their excellent close range fighting skills. Not a perfect solution, but reasonably satisfactory, perhaps, in an imperfect world

As long as the mod community can fiddle the wavs so Tobruk defenders say "mate", Indians say "sahib", and Gurkas scream "aiieee" with advance orders, I will in a pinch be able to live with all of them just being boring old "Brits" lol. But I won't like it nearly as much.