Just Ordered CMBB

Hello all - I finally ordered CMBB – embarrassed – as I’ve had CMBO for a couple of years now and have really NO idea why I didn’t do this last year sometime. Ahh well, the good news is that I have all the patches downloaded and should be ready to go when the disc arrives.

Anyway, looking at the screenshots – I think the interface looks a bit ugly from an artistic POV. Can anyone suggest a replacement along the lines of the CMBO “Grey Steel” interface and the Clipboard menu? I really liked those.

Also, what about terrain? Is the CMBB terrain a marked improvement over CMBO (it appears to be)? Or are there very nice terrain sets to download?

Any info. and appropriate links are appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Barkhorn.

The largest difference I believe is the difference in MG fire and infantry behavior. While some hate it many others and myself have learned to love it. Gone are the days of the infantry rush. You now must strive for a more precise use of infantry in your computerized combat. The Russian infantry is affordable and can really hold it’s own.

Artillery also underwent some major changes with fire mission call up wait times from to 7 or 8 minutes for some FO’s.

It is my favorite variation of the CMBO game engine as I have always been an East front fan from the old Cross of Iron days.

In case your unaware of this site, here is CMMODS, your go to place for CM mods. There's also Zims excellent CM site. Which hosts Tarkus's awesome Dark Steel interface mod.

Also, here is a direct link to Pavlov's Red Victory interface mod. It's a unique soviet inspired mod, very well done.

I personally use a combo of both of these great interface mods. They look/work just fine together.

There's a bunch of terrain and building mods at cmmods. So you can mod your CMBB to your hearts content.

Oh and welcome to CMBB. Once you get used to CMBB, you'll never go back to CMBO. You'll just move on to CMAK and beyond to CMx2. ;)

CMBB does look better than CMBO. But CMAK looks better than CMBB ...and they ALL look better properly modded!

I'd suggest you start by modding the most common vehicles - T34, BT, PzIV, PzIII. Next comes modding the worst looking vehicles, which definitely includes the Lend-Lease Stuart!

Oh, any by the way, after paying with those CMBO Shermans you're going to have a LOT of fun manhandling all those ISU-122s... Sturmtigers... Czech light tanks... italian tankettes... giant KV-2s... PzIIs ...Csaba armored cars!

i agree w/ Barkhorn1x

of the three, the cmbo interface and command menu is far and away the easiest to visually look at and understand - imho it's not even a close contest

the next two look like they suffered the same fate as this message board - an attack of muddy earth tones that are both ugly to look at and more difficult at a glance to understand

and while it might be suggested this is subjective, actually it's not - interface and menu designs are routinely user tested - it'd be amusing to play test the three interfaces at a mall with users who do not play wargames and see which one they think is visually easiest to understand and interact with

as you can tell, i have a rather strong opinion about which one i think would win walking away

If you go down the subject list (you might have to select 'within the last 10 days' at the top) there's a thread called "CMBB definitive mod pack" with lots of great suggestions.

Heck. I'll just bump the topic so it'll appear at the top of the topic list!

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by CRSutton:

Now go out and buy CMAK. It is all that much better. It adds some chrome and armor battles are much different with fewer killing hits and more partial penetrations that can shock (or not)

I think I will hold off on CMAK for a time as CMBB gives one a whole lot of gaming - almost 5 year of gaming in fact.

Barkhorn.