Radio cars

At present, Radio Cars are just very lightly armored and armed AFVs in CM.

Since CM doesn't presently model radio nets (except for wrt arty spotters & AFV platoons), radio cars' primary asset (big powerful radios) don't really come into play.

IRL, they were not used for intra-company, or even intra-battalion communications -- their primary purpose was as radio relay stations between forward (usually panzer) units, and higher command echelons behind the spearhead.

I've never heard of radio cars being used regularly as spotters for mortars or artillery batteries or anything like that IRL, though I suppose it's possible. The Germans certainly made use of armored FO vehicles of various kinds, up to and including some modified tank chassis.

Cheers,

YD

AFAIK, there is nothing in the manual, nor have I ever seen anything here on the forum verifying that radio cars have some kind of "LOS bonus".

So I really doubt their LOS and spotting ability is any better or worse than other armored cars, since such unit special abilities are almost alway mentioned in the manual. It's possible I've missed something, though.

I have neither the time nor the inclination, but it would be a relatively simple thing to set up a test scenario for -- two identical map halves, sepearated by a strip of woods or other complete LOS block. On one side put a radio car, on the other a similar, light armored car. Place a bunch of enemy units in various levels of cover on the map, and see who spots what first. . .

Cheers,

YD

Originally posted by Larry Thorne:

YD

Am I wrong that radiocars have better LOS than "normal" AFVs? I usually use them as scouts since they spot the enemy further away...or then it is just a feeling??? And they can fight back a little if they get into trouble. Not like Kûbelwagen sacrifice scouting.

-LT

The deciding factor is the optics. If there is a bonus then you will notice a significant difference in spotting. German PSW radio cars do not have such a bonus, while other german PSWs do.

If you have played any CMBB "pure armor" battles you notice a huge difference in spotting when comparing a t34 to a panzer. This is from the optics.

The deciding factor is the optics. If there is a bonus then you will notice a significant difference in spotting. German PSW radio cars do not have such a bonus, while other german PSWs do.

If you have played any CMBB "pure armor" battles you notice a huge difference in spotting when comparing a t34 to a panzer. This is from the optics.

Thanks guys

I just recently played a scenario where I managed to kill a T-34 from 1260m with PzIII 50mm L/60 taking few shots and then landing the AP round right on its side armour. That was a pure show of optics. That was the star moment of that scenario. After that I got a beat down as my opponent moved his armor closer...no match...I got brewed again and again.

Yep I did some research at cmbbdb and found out that I was somewhat on a wrong track with the radiocar optics thing. :(

-LT

The radio cars are, I would presume, there just because it was possible. They might be used for scenarios such as partisans raiding a HQ, or the last remains of a Kampfgruppe breaking out of encirclement, or such. But they have no special capabilities (nor should they, presumably, at this level).

Originally posted by securityguard:

Why are they listed as their own 'thing' though (radio car). It seems like if it's a specific radio car chasis then labeling it as a radio car would be over doing it. I'm curious why they are labeled radio vehicles, maybe it's just for completeness.

Not sure what the confusion is. These are a unique asset like everything else in CM. In QBs I purchase them all the time. They are a cheap, fast, support MG. You realize the models are exactly the same as the standard PSWs with the 20mm gun right (without the gun or optics of course).

I wrote a long thread on scouting awhile back with these radio cars specifically in mind as close support in the process. The only real downfall is lack of ammo for the MG. But then, your opponent doesn't need to know where you're out of ammo now does he? :D