New and lazy

Let me start off by saying that I love this game. I knew about it for a long time (CMBO) and finally decided to get both CMBO & CMBB because of all the positive reviews from actual players of the game.

With that said. I am totally inept at tactical warfare and mostly like to watch the battles with the bodies pile up and end up playing defense against the AI. The other problem is I really don't have the patience to set up the units like I should.

Now, is it possible to set up a game where the AI plays against the AI? That would allow me to pick the units/map and watch the carnage without messing around with all the commanding and such.

Plus it would be more fun (for me anyway) to test out the maps I make this way with two equally (I'm actually way worse than the AI) (in?)capable opponents playing each other on it.

In short, I like watching the battles take place and making the maps the most in the game.

Slaghead, I suggest that you acquire a friend who's a WW2 freak. I'm positive that you'll learn the basic tactics in a couple of hours.

A more difficult task is comprehending the massive amount of WW2 trivia: ideal force composition for date/weather/terrain, armor penetration charts, troop armaments and such.

If you want to improve your tactics then I'd highly recommend the Strategy Guide. It's mostly about tactics, both on attack and defense. At least one scenario that comes with CMBB, A Battle of Minors, is discussed in detail from the defenders side. If you get the Guide, set up and play the scenario as the defender, then read the recommendations. You'll learn more that way IMO.

You all just totally skipped over the fact that I'm lazy too. hehe

I've really been impressed with the amount of knowledge the people around here have.

Maybe I'll go for the strat guide. I mostly expected common sense to prevail but maybe I'm all out of that.

My biggest problem is that I can't see the enemy nearly as effectively as the AI's units seem to see mine. It doesn't seem to matter how much energy/time I waste using the sneak command or anything. *sigh*

Well, thanks for the advice guys.

One lazy man's way of playing is selecting all your units together and telling them to 'move to the far corner of the board in one command. Leave it up to them to figure out what they have to do to get there!

I've done that once or twice and did better than I usually do plotting all my devious tactics!!! :D

Originally posted by MikeyD:

One lazy man's way of playing is selecting all your units together and telling them to 'move to the far corner of the board in one command. Leave it up to them to figure out what they have to do to get there!

I've done that once or twice and did better than I usually do plotting all my devious tactics!!! :D

AND then try this

IF you have two computers

and you can play head to head

(I have done this)

set them both up for TCP/IP play

set the timer to 1 minute

be the commander of both sides

give all units a Hunt or Advance order to the other side of the map

from ther default start positions

(assuming a meeting engagement)

just group box them ALL and give them all a hunt order straight ahead

do this for all units and both sides of the map

(you are both commmanders in a meeting engagement)

then it GO

both sides Hit Go

the TCP/IP one minute timer will kick in and

the two sides will "virtually" play them selves

its FUN to watch

but you need two computers set up

head to head for TCP/IP play

Timer set to 1 minute!

viola

computer plays its self

:D

-tom w

No, you REALLY figured out how to do it? AI vs AI has been the lazy man's holy grail for years! I can totally imagine sitting in my bathrobe, drooling glassy-eyed as the battle rages before me. I wonder if BFC's ever tried this to test out AI tactics.

Interesting...

But what do you do about artillery spotters? Does the TacAI autoplot arty strikes for you?

Obviously it does for it's own spotters if you're actually playing against the A.I. but in this case don't they just move to the other side of the map getting shot at?

Maybe the solution is to just not include arty.

Bizarre...and I thought I'd already tried everything with CM :D

ok

Hold on here

the AI "sort of" plays its self

not really though

Arty spotters? never tried them?

the example I posted is for a meeting engagement (only) where one human PLAYER (you) gives BOTH sides the same orders.

(Basically just order EVERY unit to advance, move or hunt forward, nothing fancy here just have Every unit move straight ahead to the other side of the map. Do this for both sides on the first turn)

its not really AI vs AI its just the TCP/IP timer kicking in every minute and letting the game and the TAC AI try to figure out how to execute the same orders (hunt or advance to the other side of the map) without any player intervention with a new turn taking place every minute.

Just let the game run and see what happens

This is not rocket science and it is not AI vs AI because both side's units are only following orders the Human Player (you) gave them in the first orders phase. VL's or flags are completely irrelevant because all the units try to do is follow their orders to move to the other side of the map.

Its no big deal really.

:cool:

-tom w

[ May 08, 2003, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Originally posted by MikeyD:

No, you REALLY figured out how to do it? AI vs AI has been the lazy man's holy grail for years! I can totally imagine sitting in my bathrobe, drooling glassy-eyed as the battle rages before me. I wonder if BFC's ever tried this to test out AI tactics.

yes Mike I really did figure out how to do this and I have done two times.

Mostly it is just a sort of side show amusment trick we do when the guys get together for good old fashioned board games. We play Supremacy, Ultimatum, or Risk or something and inbetween turns we go and watch the laptops to see who is winning :D , the battle goes on and on without any intervention and the computers are left completely unattended.

it is quite entertaining actually

he he

-tom w

[ May 08, 2003, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]