Panzer Killing by Magic

In a tournament PBEM recently finished, my brave vet pioneers took out two panzers IV earlies in one turn. They started with a satchel of explosives and two grenades. They used the satchel on the first PIV, blowing it to smithereens. The second tank they threw something which looked like a granade and which immediately knocked it out. Yet the grenade count in the pioneers' inventory did not change. Where did the mystery explosives come from? Did they find it lying around in the scattered trees or something?

Anybody else have anything similar happen?

Also, I had tried to attack a panzer with a unit of crack infantry to no effect, also using grenades. What makes a grenade (if it was a grenade) thrown by a pioneer more effective than those thrown by infantry? Maybe some form of pioneer pixie dust?

I'm not complaining, but my opponent might if he reads this!

Thanks for the thoughts:

But do Russian pioneers carry "panzerwurfer" mines? And in any case wouldn't it be represented in a separate icon?

Five grenades per icon? That makes sense, maybe they just used 4 up, leaving the icon in their inventory intact.

But has anybody else noticed whether pioneers are better at using grenades against tanks than other units?

I would consider it more likely that they just close-assaulted the tank. As you know, infantry close assault is represented by the infantry throwing something at the tank (actually I'd like to have a text somewhere saying "assaulting"). This can be anything from putting rocks and sticks between tracks to shooting at optics from close distance, and while not necessarily disasterous, never a nice situation for a crew having a squad of combat engineers jumping on your little tank. Did you get a penetration text?

You can expect pioneers to be more successful in this than normal infantry, but I find myself lucky if even they can do it.

Originally posted by Sivodsi:

In a tournament PBEM recently finished, my brave vet pioneers took out two panzers IV earlies in one turn. They started with a satchel of explosives and two grenades. They used the satchel on the first PIV, blowing it to smithereens. The second tank they threw something which looked like a granade and which immediately knocked it out. Yet the grenade count in the pioneers' inventory did not change. Where did the mystery explosives come from? Did they find it lying around in the scattered trees or something?

Anybody else have anything similar happen?

Also, I had tried to attack a panzer with a unit of crack infantry to no effect, also using grenades. What makes a grenade (if it was a grenade) thrown by a pioneer more effective than those thrown by infantry? Maybe some form of pioneer pixie dust?

I'm not complaining, but my opponent might if he reads this!

I had something similar happed to me, but my guys weren't pioneers. I had a Soviet SMG squad in a forest during a night operation with rain. This SMG squad threw what looked like a grenade. It was pretty much a Hail Mary and when this grenade hit its target it took out a German Panther G. As far as I know, SMG squads don't have any special AT weapons. I think it was just one hell of a lucky throw. You may have experienced something similar.

Originally posted by Sivodsi:

Yet the grenade count in the pioneers' inventory did not change.

The hand grenades icons don't stand for single grenades. They don't go down by one when one grenade is thrown. I think it's 5 grenades.

And yes, in CMBB, HQs with normal grenades are very good tank killers. Not quite the same as a Jagdpanthers but close smile.gif