To The Volga, slow to load

My issue is that the Campaign Map " TO the Volga " seems to have alot of lag and takes an unbearable long time to load. It's unplayable. I was wondering, without changing the map at all if there were some graphic tweaks or settings that I don't know about that I could adjust to smooth it out. I think my res settings are at 800 by 600 75mhz fresh. I usually get around 33 Fps on medium and large maps. On Volga I get 5fps, I have :

P4 2.5 G

865PERL 800mhz FSB

ATI 9800 256m 400mhz

WinXp sp2

It's a biggie and requires the computational power of Deep Thought just to compehend that it needs just the question you ask.

IIRC turns need 30 minutes to process and just for scrolling around switch of all graphics glitz (wibbly wobbly trees, doodahs, sound effects etc) and in the editor remove all craters and damage). Take a deep breath, put the kettle on and take up smoking as a past-time.

Goodluck and tell the next generation of CMXers if you win

I played it on a 1.5 GHz with a pile-o-crap video card. It took me an hour to calculate turns for the first few battles. Besides turning off the graphics I always made sure the camera was pointing out of the map when I scrolled around (so it had to process as little of the map as possible) and then worked my way towards the centre. Not the best way to play but it helped with the framerate....a bit.

Wow... what horror stories.

I haven't tried this one since I upgraded my graphics card. But with other maps where I had this issue, all problems disappeared once I upgraded. My rig is about 5 years old at this point, so the card I had was obsolete. Same computer, but new card... marvelous!

Things that helped get me through bigger maps where, turning trees off, etc. Basically slim down everything the computer has to draw... roofs, smoke, three-man squads. Turning vehicles off when I had to scroll around helped a lot. Between turns, I was also have the camera or view down to level 1... or better yet, looking off the map where there was nothing to draw.

It would be unfortunate to have to edit out the craters... not to mention tedious. The craters do provide cover which could be critical. If you go in the editor, you will see the enemy set up.

How much RAM do you have?

My setup (Athlon64 3500+, 2GB OCZ DDR, SATA drives, GFTi4200) runs a campaign bigger than To The Volga (8km x 4km, 75,000 points) without a complaint. Load times are about 30 seconds, and turn times are about 70 seconds.

You can improve performance by shortening the Horizon range to 2,500m.