Hero of the Soviet Union...Death Match

In October 1944, a lone Soviet T-34/85 supported by SMG platoon, held defence near Ogledow village, Poland. Meanwhile, sPzAbt501 which had gotten it's combat debut here in this same area just a month ago is coming back. The Germans want that village and will commit King Tigers to get it.

Gds.Lt. Alexander Oskin (the commander of the Soviet tank,) from the 53rd Guards Tank Brigade, his T-34/85 excellently camouflaged, has decided to wait just a little longer.

This is my first ever fictional CM scenario. It was the result of some bad research. When I finally got a map of this battle it was nothing like the map I had made.

The scenario was so tough, and so different, I am releasing it to the Scenario Depot as is.

This is in the same vein as the KC scenarios, only with the hero of the battle winning the Hero of the Soviet Union, instead of the Knights Cross.

I have beaten this scenario...barely. I have never ended the scenario with the T-34 not having been knocked out. I have killed all the King Tigers, twice trading shots with the last one to have them both knocked out.

This is one tough fight.

If you like the KC scenarios I suggest you give this one a try. It is called HF Death Match.

Perhaps I'm playing this wrong, but I just got a very easy total victory. I played as allies vs. ai, standard setup, and just creamed them. I left everything at the scenario default, and both times the kings were suprised by the t34 and ko'd in one or 2 shots. The third king became immobilized in the road, allowing me to forget him. I'm guessing I just got lucky, I'll try it again.

Just finsh the Battle. Have played about 5 or 6 times. As the Russians I like to park the T34

between the buildings And Ambush the King Tiger

as he rolls past coming down the street point

Blank in the side. The first and second shot

has got to take him out if he swings that gun

and fires the battle is over. The last battle

I just finsh tonight. I Killed the first tiger

with point bank shots in side but let the second tiger go down the street set up a shot to hit him in rear. he

took the round but he swing his gun fired at t-34

It hit the T-34 pushing it back but tank not

destroyed, gun was damage and one crew member

was Killed. the tank was pushed out of LOS

for the tiger but the t-34 had damage something ? He was immoblized setting in street in shock to. He was setting very near my troops hidding in fox hole They raised up and threw two gernades or somthing black. And crew bailed out of tiger. My ground troops finsh the second tiger.

Oh the third tiger got bogged down in field.

Playing 5 or 6 times I have won twice.

I found out most of time if king tiger swing there guns and fire there goes your t-34 and the battle.

Think I will play it again " sorry about my spelling " I know a few words are miss spelled

Lane

smile.gif:D

Originally posted by Amedeo:

Wasn't the very same episode covered in the "Road to Staszow" scenario?

No Warmonger's excellent scenario is historically accurate. Mine is not. I was doing research on the Lt. winning the Hero of the Soviet Union. I had just some basic information.

Then I came across the same website that Warmonger used to make Road to Staszow. Up until that time I didn't realize that they were the same fight.

By that time I had a working model of the map and scenario. It was so tough that I decided to release it a fictional engagment between the two.

The goal is to kill all of the King Tigers while not losing the T-34. It is a very tough assignment. I have yet to get all of them and have the T-34 be healthy. Twice I have killed the last KT but was killed myself by the KT's return fire.

Some day I'll get them. :D

I managed to knock out two of the Tigers, and immobilize the other, using only the SMG platoon. I tried doing this in the platoon's original position, but found it was too difficult. I accomplished the feat by running the platoon into an ambush position, occupying the three tall buildings to the left of the T-34's position. After that, it was all rather simple. Sit and wait for all three tanks to come clunking down the road, and start chucking grenades. The victory would have been perfect, if I hadn't got impatient. I got tired waiting for the platoon to finish off the last Tiger, so I went after it with the T-34... Bad idea. The Tiger had already been hit with three grenades, and immobilized, so I thought it was rather harmless. Ooops. Darn..... I tried adding a Grenadier platoon in the scenario editor, and that made the scenario much harder.

Anyway, fun scenario! Thanks for posting it.

Originally posted by K.A. Miles:

I managed to knock out two of the Tigers, and immobilize the other, using only the SMG platoon. I tried doing this in the platoon's original position, but found it was too difficult. I accomplished the feat by running the platoon into an ambush position, occupying the three tall buildings to the left of the T-34's position. After that, it was all rather simple. Sit and wait for all three tanks to come clunking down the road, and start chucking grenades. The victory would have been perfect, if I hadn't got impatient. I got tired waiting for the platoon to finish off the last Tiger, so I went after it with the T-34... Bad idea. The Tiger had already been hit with three grenades, and immobilized, so I thought it was rather harmless. Ooops. Darn..... I tried adding a Grenadier platoon in the scenario editor, and that made the scenario much harder.

Anyway, fun scenario! Thanks for posting it.

Yes, of course, you can attack them with the SMG platoon.

But that is not the goal of this scenario. The goal is to kill all the King Tigers with only the T-34.

Can you do that?

It makes the scenario very challenging if you try it that way.

If you go back to the editor take out the SMG platoon and see what that does for you. It wasn't an issue in the original combat. It shouldn't be in this one either. I only put them in there because the AAR for the battle had them there. I should have pulled them out once I dropped the historical part of the scenario.

Do I have to have ***spoiler*** here?

The best I've ever done was two knocked out K.T.'s with my T-34 untouched.

I got the first when he sped down the road and stopped at the bend (why?).. that took only 2 shots. One went through the rear hull, the other went through the rear turret and 4 of the 5 crew were dead.

The second was a lot tougher, except the AI made a stupid move. I actually got shot at by this one (he had moved off into the field "north" [i think] of town, and I was sitting between the two start buildings waiting for him to blunder into my sights). Well, a'blundering he went, but my T-34 didn't kill him with the first two shots. Wisely, the T-34 backed up and moved behind one of the buildings. The stupid K.T then proceeded to the road not 20 yards from where the first one died, and stopped. He was at a slightly different angle (showing his side instead of his rear) but my T-34 shot him about 7 or 8 times before the crew bailed.

The last K.T just sat on the road and wouldn't move, I ran out of time trying to manuever my T-34 over to kill him.

Usually my T-34 targets a K.T. misses, misses, and dies, so that was a fun run through for me.

Originally posted by Urchin:

Do I have to have ***spoiler*** here?

Usually my T-34 targets a K.T. misses, misses, and dies, so that was a fun run through for me.

No, no spoilers. This scenario is played against the AI. The Russian would have NO CHANCE vs a human player.

The T-34 will kill all three. I've done it. The Crew just has to walk home when they are finished because the last KT always gets them too.

Thanks for trying it.

OK, I ditched the SMG platoon. I then proceeded to lose game after game.

The original position of the T-34 is not ideal, to say the least. For some reason, the T-34 sometimes just sits there while the KTs roll by. Not very impressive for an "elite" crew! Also, IMHO, I find the position too confining and inflexible.

So, I changed the position of the T-34 during setup. The new position was much better, and afforded some very nice rear shots on the Tigers. In three out of four games, I have knocked out all three KTs, and my T-34 has lived to tell the tale. The other game was a total screw up. After giving the lead Tiger three rear richochets and an immobilizing hit, the bastard blew me up without a second thought.

Was it cheating to change the T-34's position?

Originally posted by K.A. Miles:

OK, I ditched the SMG platoon. I then proceeded to lose game after game.

The original position of the T-34 is not ideal, to say the least. For some reason, the T-34 sometimes just sits there while the KTs roll by. Not very impressive for an "elite" crew! Also, IMHO, I find the position too confining and inflexible.

So, I changed the position of the T-34 during setup. The new position was much better, and afforded some very nice rear shots on the Tigers. In three out of four games, I have knocked out all three KTs, and my T-34 has lived to tell the tale. The other game was a total screw up. After giving the lead Tiger three rear richochets and an immobilizing hit, the bastard blew me up without a second thought.

Was it cheating to change the T-34's position?

Nope it wasn't cheating. Pretty smart I would say. The whole idea is that killing 3 King Tigers with a T-34/85 isn't easy.

Good job. Try some of the HSG scenarios for more historically accurate scenarios.

Mr K.A. Miles

Thank's for tip, I moved my T-34/85M44

down near the Y intersection behine a building.

First tiger came into view took about 3 rounds

and he was knocked out. second tiger came down

road next to Knocked out tiger with his gun ready

We Fired with in seconds of each other. His round

hit near my gun but did not knock it out Was very

Lucky. My round found the mark and they abandoned the tank. Moved out looking for number

3 and he was heading away from me a Rear shot

The gun crew hit the Rear and he went up smoking

and Burning. Outcome 3 tigers destroyed

No Sovite Causualties.

Have played CSDT Bussard have the mod's applied

to all the tank's One Stug 111E Vs a bunch of

Soviet tanks July 1941. best I have done is destroy 2 Soviet tank's The stug takes time to

Rotate thats when they get you.

:D Lane

I don't know what CEB you guys are using. I normally play with a +2. I have never yet had the priviledge of seeing the back side of a KT. They are always looking for me and NEVER leaving town...

CSDT Bussard was the 2nd scenario I ever made with the CM editor. The scenario was never playtested by anyone but me. I made it to teach myself how to use not only the editor but armored combat.

I have killed as many as 10 Russian tanks in that one but never the KV.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is CEB?

I started out with a +3 experience. Not because I'm a good player (far from it), but because I wanted it to be challenging. Try placing your T-34 between the two identical buildings on the right side of the road. The "right" side of the road, i.e. opposite the church. Position the T-34 so that you can see the twist in the road, but not the straight portion before the twist. Now start the game and wait for the prey. Sometimes, like Lane said, you have to hunt for the third, but the other two should unwittingly roll right into your line of fire. Perfect rear shot.

Guys, when I won the HF Death Match.

When I moved my T-34/85 down to the Ambush

Spot behine the Y intersection coming into town.

My set up was C.P.S Stick to senario Default.

CEB Normal (None)

Play Balance Normal. Is that cheating?

I Love playing Panther Commander's CSDT Bussard.

Most tanks I have got playing this battle is 6

I got luckey and hit the KV-1 Gun and hit a track

and immobilized him. Move to approx 50 meters

Try to finsh KV-1 but round's just bounced off him. After trying about 6 rounds with no effect.

To my surprise the crew bailed out of tank.

I did move turns to 35+ from 20+

Try it. 1 Stug 111-E Vs 18 tanks

Lane