Engineers and mines

I STILL have a problem with engineers not being able to "search" for mines. They can only remove discovered mines and those are "discovered" by loosing a tank to the minefield. This seems silly to me since combat engineers "regularly" cleared or checked suspected areas of mine fields, ESPECIALLY roads.

I agree that there should be some way to search for unexposed mines. Sometimes a map has tight chokepoints between patches of forest, and you just know that these bottlenecks are mined. But instead of being able to call engineers to secure the area, you must first sacrifice a vehicle before being able to get rid of the mines. Gah!

It would be nice, however it would seem to require the addition of another command, namely "Search for Mines" (or booby traps, or what-have-you).

Since it would presumably take some time to do well, it would probably need to be a dedicated command rather than something that was done automatically. Automatic searching would seem to me to be too powerful a tool, but if it were its own command, then that would be better.

Of course, one would need to specify how it would work. Three options come to mind:

1. Any mines within X meters will possibly be discovered.

2. An area fire command where you specify the point to search around. There would, of course, need to be some limit to the distance (say 20 or 40 m).

3. Something like a covered arc that is searched, again with a fairly small range.

Chance of discovery would need to depend on the area of the reation being searched, force type (engineers/pioneers better), training level (of course) and range. I'm not sure if terrain should play a part or not.

I don't think patiently clearing mines would fall into the time frame of a CM battle. In my opinion BFC has handled this correctly; the engineers/pioneers are included in the game as an important combat arm of the infantry. Their engineering is limited to using satchel charges to clear an unexpected minefield which has been discovered in the course of a firefight. Of course, they can use the satchel charges on other targets, too.

Maybe CMAK will include some specialized mine clearing AFVs. Until then, mines can hurt attackers big time. Since I enjoy playing defense, I like what mines can accomplish very cheaply, without risking a single soldier. :D

They should be able to spot them. It is easy to impliment this without an additional command. Just have it work like this - if a pioneer squad is stationary for a full minute, then hidden mines within 20m are revealed at the end of that turn. If they are moving, no spotting. That way the player does decide whether to spend time searching and where, but no commands are needed. To actually clear the field still requires demo charges and additional time, just like now for fields discovered by people or vehicles setting them off.

Its my long lost brother in arms! :eek:

Very often my infantry spot mines before we reach them. I dont know if this is from a nearby explosion setting some off, or if they just spotted them. My engineers seem to do an Okay job of finding them on their own.

I know this doesnt help, but I have never really had a problem with this. I just drive a jeep down the road before I send my tank . . . smile.gif

Chad

heheh Chad you have a great last name, but as far as "soft" vehicles in this game, I find they last as long as ice cream in the desert when exposed smile.gif

I just think either a mine clearing tank as suggested or the stop a turn and wait might be the ticket, of course opinions vary but as a former military type I can tell you that suspected area's were checked if possible (I believe that engineers underfire would lose the ability to search). I have several issues with some of the senario builders who setup an ambush and then limit the turns so badly that a "proper" approach cannot be made to discover them, but that is a different issue I guess.

[ May 23, 2003, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: Jim Harrison ]