AI's use of indirect spotting for mortars, proximity direct fire, and area fire?

Three questions:

(1) Does the AI use HQ's to spot for mortars? I get the impression that the AI only uses mortars in a direct fire role?

(2) Does the AI use proximity fire/blast effect to neutralize guns? I get the impression that the AI will not hammer a gun position from slighting outside of LOS.

(3) While on this topic, does the AI ever use area fire supress or neutralize lost contacts? I get the impression it only fires at solid contacts.

Thanks.

Well, we can be glad the AI uses area fire at all.

Here is how I would edit scenarios to do challenging play against the AI:

1) edit all spotters to be crack or elite

2) edit all HQs to have 2 bonusses for command

I don't like the experience bonus as an all-out option as it distorts combat too much. But the above is OK. Sometime I also give stealth bonusses or morale but not combat. But you have to keep in mid that you cannot apply the lessons learned of e.g. when you spot what.

3) count victory only by flag posession. And maybe your own losses, but not enemy losses.

4) once you open fire with a gun or heavy weapon, do not cease fire for the purpose of "re-hiding". If neccessary, edit the guns to have more ammo so that you can continue to fire without distorting results elsewhere.

Extra command bonuses are a poor way to help the AI because it doesn't keep its troops in command to begin with. As for what it uses on board mortars for, in my experience mostly bayonet charges in slow motion. As for what it uses FOs for, mostly annihilation fires on one unit off at the edge of the map on turn 20, or smoke fired at its own units while they are hotly engaged.

If you want the AI to fight well, give it decent squad infantry and reasonably thick tanks. To coordinate an attack, give it multiple reinforcement packets timed and placed to provide a kind of scripting. Do not expect it to plan an attack coherently on its own. On defense, give it some immobile heavy weapons and set them up in reasonable places yourself. Also give it good terrain to defend, with less than stellar routes of approach for the human player.

Sufficient odds combined with these advantages can make the AI dangerous enough to be challenging. It can be a job to hold off 3 to 1 odds without running out of ammo, even if you are fighting well and using each units you have effectively. And it can be hard to attack multiple hidden guns supported by superior AFVs, even with reasonable attacker odds yourself, let alone without them.