It's the 'Great Cheery Waffle, MasterGoodale!' Growls and howls for Halloween

Originally posted by stikkypixie:

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

CANT ESCAPE RINGS HYPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pixie:

I realize that making up meanings for words is all the rage with the kids these days. That doesn't mean I have to like it. Hype is what marketing weenies do -- they run commercials and get talking heads like Jeffrey Lyons or local station KZTV in Poughkeepsie to gush about their films so that they can quote it over and over again. It has nothing to do with discussions between fans on a subject they enjoy.

For myself, Tolkien's works have been my foremost literary interest for nearly 20 years, ever since I encountered them in junior high. His works are the only area where I consider myself a scholar, and I am unashamedly passionate about them. I take exception to having my conversations about the topic being called "hype".

Truly, you are entitled to your opinion and if you feel you are seeing too much about the movies, feel free to express that. However, take care that you do not confuse that with mere attacks against those who do enjoy the books and the movies, for that is no more appropriate than it would be to attack Axe for "hyping" CMAK.

/rant off

[ November 05, 2003, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: Becket ]

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Axe2121:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Becket:

Please let me know if you haven't received the files. :mad:

Correct.

Maggot.

Mastergoodale must be busy with Call of Duty.

Or the call of nature. </font>

Originally posted by Becket:

Seems the other way to configure PBEM helper, while it solves the double email, may introduce a new problem -- emails not getting there.

I had problems with PBEM and e-mail a few months ago too, only my solution was to go to teh double-e-mail setup (SMAPI??)

I recently upgraded to the "2 mails per turn" version and restored the single message per file setup and it works fine now.

Originally posted by Mike:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Becket:

Seems the other way to configure PBEM helper, while it solves the double email, may introduce a new problem -- emails not getting there.

I had problems with PBEM and e-mail a few months ago too, only my solution was to go to teh double-e-mail setup (SMAPI??)

I recently upgraded to the "2 mails per turn" version and restored the single message per file setup and it works fine now. </font>

Someone's gunning for arch-enemy status. Though DaveH and his Messergamey 109 are currently polling the highest for that honor.

:mad:

<big>We're Number One!! We're Number One!!</big>

As for my airplane, as far as I could tell the pilot dropped his bombs in the middle of a field. If he actually caused any damage, I'm very thankful - and surprised. :D

Hey Becket, that's interesting what you said about your interest in Tolkien's work. Any particular reason why it grabbed you so tightly? I've read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, and none of them really struck me as more than exciting fantasy stories, or fairy tales. So can you explain your passion for them, or should I simply accept the fact that your passion exists? :confused: :D:D

And Axe and Mike, please don't think I'm putting CMAK down in any way. The backgrounds themselves are reason enough for me to invest my hard-earned dollars in the new game. That early Soviet armor has really forced me to evaluate who had the best hardware at that time, and it sure wasn't the Americans or British. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Dave H:

Hey Becket, that's interesting what you said about your interest in Tolkien's work. Any particular reason why it grabbed you so tightly? I've read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, and none of them really struck me as more than exciting fantasy stories, or fairy tales. So can you explain your passion for them, or should I simply accept the fact that your passion exists? :confused: :D:D

Well, for the most part, the writing just resonates with me. I saw a cartoon version of the Hobbit when I was very young, and even though it's a poor adaptation, I was captivated. (Of course, the Hobbit was written as a children's story, so perhaps that's no surprise.)

The themes within the Lord of the Rings are, to me, very striking and important: the central themes are about friendship and growing up -- the journey of Frodo, Sam, Merry & Pippin isn't merely one to destroy a ring and come back, but a journey from youth to adulthood. Not unsurprisingly, Tolkien views this through the lens of war -- at a young age, he went to France to fight in WWI. Of all his friends who went at the same time, only he survived.

And thus the other powerful themes in the work include death, and how we deal with it; courage in the face of horror; nobility in the face of savagery. Overall, too, the work is tinged with a profound sense of what has been lost -- for the elves, the War of the Ring can at best be a truce, not a victory; their time is over and they must either use the respite to retreat to the west, or become forgotten ghosts in the forests.

And even more -- there are subthemes reflecting Tolkien's love of the country life, and how he felt that industrialization was killing that way of life. Sandyman's mill poisoning the Water in Hobbiton -- and the later devastation wrought by Sharkey and crew -- is a metaphor for that viewpoint, as is the ruin caused by Saruman.

I could go on and on about the depth of the work and the characters. There is simply nothing like it for me; the entire work is steeped in the legendarium of the "elder days", which Tolkien spent his life writing. The world feels real because it has deep history and languages that were devised by a master philologist and intricately tied to that history. Words are not merely made up but rather given an etymology explaining the hows and whys of how they came to be. Yet another aspect of the works that add to the "real" feeling of the world.

Of course, this only scratches the surface. JRRT's son, Christopher, has over the past 20 years completed the herculean task of making all of his father's unpublished drafts and works available. This is an incredible goldmine! Tragedies and triumphs, sorrow and great joy.

Simply put, he created a world that feels very real and stories that I draw a great deal of value from when I read them. As one critic says, reading Tolkien creates a lens; when you put down the book, the lens remains over your eyes and informs your perception of the real world. She wasn't speaking about believing in elves, but rather something more than that, believing that a very small person can stand up to dragons, I suppose.

Ah, well, the above is really just a ramble. Hope it makes some sense. smile.gif

[ November 05, 2003, 11:50 PM: Message edited by: Becket ]

<big>Good Morning, Maggots!!! :D:D

Thanks, Becket. I appreciate your candor and your ability to express yourself. :D

Unlike the rest of you Neanderthals, who couldn't put together a cogent thought with a lifetime supply of duct tape and Krazy Glue. :D

Mike, aren't you comparing the top of the line British and American armor with the most common, but not the best, Soviet tanks? That's disingenuous, maggot. I'd expect something like that from MasterGoodale or mike_the_wino, but from you it's disappointing. Not surprising, but disappointing. :mad: :D:D

Originally posted by Dave H:

<big>Good Morning, Maggots!!! :D:D

Unlike the rest of you Neanderthals, who couldn't put together a cogent thought with a lifetime supply of duct tape and Krazy Glue. :D

Yes, but we know how to properly close our tags! Oh, and end our sentences with prepositional phrases. smile.gif

Originally posted by Axe2121:

Hey Dave, not all of us are dottering old codgers. What's with the old-person font size?

and

Originally posted by Snarker:

Yes, but we know how to properly close our tags!

What are you MasterGoodale wanna-be's talking about? The only thing in larger type is my "Good Morning, Maggots!!!" I haven't edited the message. Does it look different now? :confused: :confused:

Maybe you toads need to get your eyes checked. :D

Or your heads examined. :D

pixie:

I realize that making up meanings for words is all the rage with the kids these days. That doesn't mean I have to like it. Hype is what marketing weenies do -- they run commercials and get talking heads like Jeffrey Lyons or local station KZTV in Poughkeepsie to gush about their films so that they can quote it over and over again. It has nothing to do with discussions between fans on a subject they enjoy.

For myself, Tolkien's works have been my foremost literary interest for nearly 20 years, ever since I encountered them in junior high. His works are the only area where I consider myself a scholar, and I am unashamedly passionate about them. I take exception to having my conversations about the topic being called "hype".

Truly, you are entitled to your opinion and if you feel you are seeing too much about the movies, feel free to express that. However, take care that you do not confuse that with mere attacks against those who do enjoy the books and the movies, for that is no more appropriate than it would be to attack Axe for "hyping" CMAK.

/rant off

OOh hit a sensitive nerve there...

Lord of the Rings rant

I've no idea where "The Land of Southern Efficiency and Northern Charm" is, Maggot (it's not Wolverhampton, is it?), but any Tolkien fruitcakes in Blighty should switch on BBC2 at 9.15pm a week on Saturday.

Bushcraft expert Ray Mears will be singing the praises of orcs, elves, goblins and hobbits, when he puts the case for LOTR as the best book ever. Interestingly, in the same episode John Sergeant reveals why he believes Joseph Heller's anti-war classic Catch-22 should be voted Britain's favourite novel.

Teddy

Originally posted by Edward Windsor:

I've no idea where "The Land of Southern Efficiency and Northern Charm" is, Maggot (Hobbit snip)

Teddy, good to see you. FYI, I believe it was John F. Kennedy who gave Washington DC this label. In the United States, the North was known for Efficiency, and the South for Charm. His point was that Washington DC had neither. :D:D

Are the rest of you amoeba planning on participating in A.E.B.'s assasination challenge for a free copy of CMAK? Looks like it would be fun, as you get to choose your own targets. Here is your opportunity to finally kill (virtually, of course) other forum members. I am so there!! :D:D:D

It's such a beautiful morning I feel like singing. Everybody all together and with feeling, "Oh, I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay!..." :D