"Downfall" out on DVD--a real must see!!! BoB fm the Bunker& streets

Wasn't able to make the brief and scarce theatrical release here in Los Angeles, so thank heavens for DVD!

This incredible German movie (English subtitles) with stunning acting, amazing sets and a deeply based (numerous interviews with primary witnesses) historical story tells the story of Germany's last days from the perspective of Hitler's secretary and other occupants of the bunker. Nowhere have I ever seen better portrayed the madness, fanaticism and surreality which pervaded those days. The Hitler portrayal is mesmerizing, and Goebbels may well give me nightmares. The combat scenes are even more visceral than "Das Boot," with all sorts of goodies in evidence, including a faux Tiger I, OT-810s subbing for 251/Ds, lots of Panzerfausten,

StGw-44s, real T-34/85s, PPsh-41s, etc. Talk about mean streets! Modders will love the grubby battledress and various cammies. A Russian 85 AA makes a pretty good 88 standin. No crummy Hollwood napalm HE either. The shellfire will curl your hair. The fighting, and the havoc it wreaks on soldier (from hardened veterans to kids and unarmed Volksturm) and civilian alike, is shown in full grim detail, along with flying squads, drumhead tribunals, and the sheer fantasy that was Hitler's model of the battle. Also shown are small acts of kindness, courage, and simple humanity amid the unfolding obscenity and slaughter.

There aren't enough superlatives for this movie, and I haven't even watched the extra goodies yet.

Regards,

John Kettler

[ August 08, 2005, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

btw, noticed the tons of the StGs..lol...can't remember an old HollyWood War movie that had them other than a bit in the Battle of the Bulge, when one is picked up.

I remember reading a StuG Kampfgruppe that attempted to blast it way out of the cauldron.

found this

"Berlin, 3rd May 1945 by David Pentland Following Hitler's death, the decision was taken by the officers and men of Sturmartillerie Brigade 249 to break out of the doomed capital. Shortly before midnight on the 3rd, what remained of the unit fought to the edge of the city at Spandau. By this time the brigade had been split into two elements, the first under Hauptmann Herbert Jaschke successfully punched their way out to the west. The second group was not so lucky, and it's survivors fell into Soviet captivity."

also found out Jaschke was a Knight's Cross holder.

Jaschke Herbert Heer Hauptmann St.Gesch.Brig. 249 23. April 1945

Armor Battles of the Waffen SS, 1943-45 (Stackpole Military History Series) (Paperback)...

this book has a chapter describing break out attempts from Berlin...Tigers running through streets and people riding on tanks being shot to pieces off the tanks...

Yeah, i just got this DVD a couple of days ago too. I had been meaning to travel away to see this movie in the theatres, but never got around to it. I got the DVD at BestBuy for $17 and must say, it's worth every penny of it.

Originally posted by John Kettler:

(numerous interviews with primary witnesses)

Not sure what you mean here, there's only one interview with Hitlers secretary Traudl Hunge. The rest of the interviews are of the actors and the director. Nonetheless, the 'making of' feature is an hour long, so they don't skimp out on it. Overall, a great movie with a good DVD feature list. smile.gif

Originally posted by mkvi:

Armor Battles of the Waffen SS, 1943-45 (Stackpole Military History Series) (Paperback)...

this book has a chapter describing break out attempts from Berlin...Tigers running through streets and people riding on tanks being shot to pieces off the tanks...

how many tanks were in Berlin? I mean Tank units I guess..

Originally posted by Panzer_M:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by mkvi:

how many tanks were in Berlin? I mean Tank units I guess.. </font>

MeatEtr,

As noted, I have yet to watch the extra goodies on the DVD. That said, what I was trying to convey is that the people we see depicted on the screen are

based on real historical people and aren't composites or made up characters. From what I can tell, numerous interviews (Traudl's being especially telling) were conducted with various eyewitnesses who survived the fall of Berlin, and it is the mosaic of their memories which forms the basis of the script. Hope that clears things up.

Regards,

John Kettler