binoculars in CM:BB

The _Strategy Guide_ implies that all units connected to an HQ with binoculars, can see as if they all have binoculars. Is this correct?

I've been sneaking my HQ's to the front patches of woods just to scout land. I could just use connected squads to scout if there's no difference. Does anyone know the specifics on this? Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by tigger:

The _Strategy Guide_ implies that all units connected to an HQ with binoculars, can see as if they all have binoculars. Is this correct?

I've been sneaking my HQ's to the front patches of woods just to scout land. I could just use connected squads to scout if there's no difference. Does anyone know the specifics on this? Thanks in advance.

Thats a good question. :eek:

Where in the Strat guide (what page) did you read that?

-tom w

On a related note, I have examined some 80's warsaw pact bincoulars and they are less than impressive optically. A green colour cast to the glass, narrow field of view, a low contrast dark image and very noticable spherical abberation at the edges of the field (effectively limiting the field of view further).

Not particularly impressive....

While I think the attached squad can take advantage of the longer range LOS of the HQ I don't think it transfers to the squads in and of themselves. What I mean is that while the Lt. might be able to look through his binos and say "Hey sarge they're by that big tree," I don't think he is going to be running around with extra pairs to hand to his squad leaders. At least that is what I think. BFC?

HQs (and any units with binoculars) are all able to spot better and further out. Due to "borg spotting" (as opposed to relative spotting), a unit which has been spotted and/or identified is spotted/identified for ALL units on your side. Or in other words - you, the player, are able to see it, and therefore to engage it with any unit within LOS. So yes, there might be a certain advantage in getting your HQ units up front to spot; at least if you remember to pull them back in time before the lead flies...

Martin

Originally posted by tigger:

[QB]The _Strategy Guide_ implies that all units connected to an HQ with binoculars, can see as if they all have binoculars. Is this correct?

specialy mortar teams,

you can hidethem behind a hill and use the HQ as a spotter, but need to be under that HQ command.....I thing thats :D the idea

I have sometimes tried to place HQ units in cover and within command radius but with a small covered arc so that they can spot but will not engage and get shot back at. This seems to work pretty well. The rest of the platoon carries most of the fighting in the meantime.

Best, Richard

Originally posted by BBToys:

I have sometimes tried to place HQ units in cover and within command radius but with a small covered arc so that they can spot but will not engage and get shot back at. This seems to work pretty well. The rest of the platoon carries most of the fighting in the meantime.

Best, Richard

That's exactly what I do. The HQ will not be spotted, unhidden, with a tiny cover arc.

Martin, thank you for answering my question.