Book Recommendations

Playing CMBB has rekindled my love of WWII literature and I have recently (in the past 2 months) read In Deadly Combat, Soldat, Forgotten Soldier, Road to Berlin, Road to Stalingrad, Beevor's The Fall of Berlin and Stalingrad and am now looking for further recommendations.

My favorite was Soldat but I also liked Beevor's books and In Deadly Combat. I found Sajer's visceral book a little over the top and melodramatic but enjoyable nonetheless. Erickson's books I found pedantic and more like a textbook and, hence for me, a difficult read. Based on my experience with Erickson, I believe Glantz is out.

Books I am looking at now include:

Black Edelweiss

Sergeant in the Snow

Lost Victories

Panzer Commander

Hell's Gate

Originally posted by Adam1:

Seven Roads to Hell is along the lines of what you are looking for.

Yes looks promising and coincidently I just purchased that one yesterday along with Cornelius Ryan's trilogy. What are the other ones in the series like?

Originally posted by George Mc:

Check out "Tank Rider" by Evgeni Bessonov a superb account of being a Soviet, err tank rider smile.gif Also "T34" by Drebkin (spelling?) which has a collection of combat accounts from Soviet tankies.

Cheers fur noo

George

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Originally posted by Gridley:

I enjoyed Von Luck's memoirs (Panzer Commander) as well as Hans-Ulrich Rudel's "Stuka-pilot". Quick reads...

I think Von Luck's memoir will be added to my library soon.

"Lost Victories" is an obvious "must read."

I've read "Tank Rider"... enjoyed it. I've seen it for very cheap... under $10. Hard back. I would give you the vendor but I just pitched the mailer I received a couple of days ago.

I agree... Erickson and Glantz are text-book like but great sources.

My last WWII read was "In Deadly Combat." Terrific. Great CM fodder. Also reading "Soviet Field Fortifications, 1939-45" during commercial breaks and building up the courage to start Zhukov's 2 volume memoir.

Leprechaun,

Read anything by HSU Dmitry Loza. He wrote COMMANDING SHERMAN TANKS IN WAR and FIGHTING FOR THE SOVIET MOTHERLAND. Mindblowing! Some excerpts available at www.battlefield.ru in the I Remember section. Here's a thread on Eastern Front books.

There are others.

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=23;t=004853;p=1

Regards,

John Kettler

[ October 26, 2007, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

Leprechaun,

You're welcome! Incidentally, we have a major Stalingrad researcher as a Forum Member, and between him and some of the already extant talent here, we have discovered that "known" photos of parts of Stalingrad are grossly in error as to what's shown, that things we thought were in one location were in others, and we now have photo and 3-D map coverage which would water your eyes.

Regards,

John Kettler

Thanks for the input. I am adding the following to my initial must read list:

Tank Rider by Evgeni Bessonov

T-34 in Action by Artem Drabkin

Enemy at the Gates by William Craig

Panzer Leader by Guderian

Stopped at Stalingrad: The Luftwaffe and Hitler's Defeat in the East, 1942-43 also looks very promising. Anyone read this one?

Originally posted by Leprechaun:

Thanks for the input. I am adding the following to my initial must read list:

Tank Rider by Evgeni Bessonov

T-34 in Action by Artem Drabkin

Enemy at the Gates by William Craig

Panzer Leader by Guderian

Stopped at Stalingrad: The Luftwaffe and Hitler's Defeat in the East, 1942-43 also looks very promising. Anyone read this one?

I've read that one - interestingly, the author does a better job decribing the air war over the Crimea - the book runs out of steam when he begins talking about the Stalingrad and Caucus campaigns.

This book, however, does a fantastic job:

http://www.eagle-editions.com/BCRS.HTM

It doesn't cover the siege of Stalingrad (that will be covered in the next title), but trust me, the book is worth every penny of its price (and then some).

if you looking to buy Tank Rider online then dont go to fleabay.when i was looking it was going for around £20 second hand.got mine from Amazon for £8,new including postage.

my recomendation would be for Black Cross Red Star,any volume you can get.best eastern front air war book i've read.

anyone come across a book by a hungarian pilot who flew HS129 tank busters ?

just had a quick look on amazon,seems this book is quite popular,check out the price !

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Cross-Red-Star-Barbarossa/dp/0935553487/ref=sr_1_3/202-0945504-4967819?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1193738733&sr=1-3

Originally posted by sudowudo:

if you looking to buy Tank Rider online then dont go to fleabay.when i was looking it was going for around £20 second hand.got mine from Amazon for £8,new including postage.

my recomendation would be for Black Cross Red Star,any volume you can get.best eastern front air war book i've read.

anyone come across a book by a hungarian pilot who flew HS129 tank busters ?

just had a quick look on amazon,seems this book is quite popular,check out the price !

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Cross-Red-Star-Barbarossa/dp/0935553487/ref=sr_1_3/202-0945504-4967819?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1193738733&sr=1-3

I usually buy most of my books used from Amazon and that Black Cross Red Star series looks good but is very expensive particularly for the first volume ( $450 :eek: ) .