newbie query

Hi everybody, i'm new around here and i have a question, i am thinking strongly about buying either BB or BO, which is the best one to start with? (this is the bit where everyone says "both")i inderstand that graphically BB should be better, however BO does ship with a cd of extras, which i understand does include graphics improvements, does this improve graphics by much? i do have a decent spec PC if this helps.

one other thing, i have the demo for BB, and have been trying it out on a LAN, however it does seem to crash a lot, usually on the joining players PC. the only other thing that we have running is sidewinder gamevoice which has never caused a problem with any other game. is the crashing usual? or is it just the demo?

many thanks in advance for any replies, Red

klapton,

It appears that you can still buy them seperately.However,since i am normally out-of-the-loop,i may be wrong.

Redimpz,

Welcome to the forum!To best answer your questions,ill have to issue more questions:

1)You say you have been playing the demo for BB,do you find it confusing?

1a)If so,BO is a more simplistic game compared to BB,thus making it easier to start out with.IMHO.

1b)if not,then BB is much more rewarding in the fact that it gives you alot more options for your units.The cover arcs is what i like best.

2)Do you have a preference to which theater of operations you play?

2a)I personally prefer the western front,with the americans(CMBO),as a result,i still play BO,even though ive had both for around 5 months now.

As far as graphics are concerned,BB is and will always be better looking(especially now that most of the modding community has all gone over to BB).BO can be modded(which could take some time,depending on how you go about it)from its original cartoon appearance to a MUCH more realistic look.If i had a link to a site called MODs & MODers,it has a nice example of this.I will provide this link ( CLICK HERE ),it shows some of the mods that are around(though it is outdated),and it shows what the before and after will look like.Mainly look at the terrain section.

As far as crashes are concerned,i havent had any while playing BB via tcp/ip,i have had some while playing BO tcp/ip.I have never played either via LAN.

Hope this clears up some of this for you,if not some others will be along shortly with additional answers.

Well nevermind covered the differences between the two pretty good so no need for me to add to that.

Now this is just my opinion but considering the price..Its actually cheaper to order the Bundle Pack..

CMBO= $30.00

CMBB= $45.00

--------------

$75.00 +SH

CM Bundle Pack= 65.00 +SH = $10.00 savings

Then just start out with the simpler CMBO to get the hang of the system of play and such..then when your ready move up to the more complicated CMBB..Thats what I did..

[ March 28, 2003, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: Erwin Rommel ]

Check where the guy lives, will you? He's in the UK. :rolleyes:

Redimpz - CM:BO wasn't originally available for sale in the UK, but you should be able to pick it up in some shops. You can also head online to Amazon where both are for sale. CM:BO can be bought for £11.99 (plus p&p).

I recommend CM:BO for starters. It's easier to get into and less daunting for new players. If it makes you feel any better, I had CM:BO for nearly 2 years, and didn't buy any other games in that time. The only games I've bought since CM:BO are CM:BB and Civilisation III. Combat Mission is an evil addiction. Buy it today smile.gif

Redimpz

The extras CD that comes with CMBO doesn't contain anything that you can't already download off the various fansites so don't go buying CMBO for that reason alone. That said I'd still advise that you kick off with that game because its so cheap and will teach you the principles of the game engine and tactics. You can then buy CMBB and get your arse handed to you by the AI until you figure out how much closer to reality it is than CMBO.

smile.gif

My opinion is why should we make him feel like he should be frightened of starting with CMBB?

The commands and controls are pretty much the same. The Graphics are prettier, the AI is more subtle, the scale is much more vast covering 4 years worth of technological advances during the war. AND it's the same price!

That CMBO extra disk sold in Britain contains some great 3rd party mods to bring the graphics up to snuff, but CMBB's default graphics were in large part done by the very same people who did CMBO's improved graphics.

I'd vote to jump in with both feet. CMBB's the way to go.

Originally posted by Soddball:

Sorry Soddy!

I was going to add this redface.gif at the end of this,but what the heck is it exactly?Embarrased,ashamed?Someone with their eyes closed blowing so hard that their face has turned red? I dunno :D

Maybe if you UK'ers could start every post with a "Oh Bugger"...or a "Bloody Hell",it would make it easier tongue.gif:D

***this was all an attempt at humor,not offence meant.

Originally posted by nevermind:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Soddball:

Sorry Soddy!

I was going to add this redface.gif at the end of this,but what the heck is it exactly?Embarrased,ashamed?Someone with their eyes closed blowing so hard that their face has turned red? I dunno :D

Maybe if you UK'ers could start every post with a "Oh Bugger"...or a "Bloody Hell",it would make it easier tongue.gif:D

***this was all an attempt at humor,not offence meant. </font>

Originally posted by MikeyD:

My opinion is why should we make him feel like he should be frightened of starting with CMBB?

The commands and controls are pretty much the same. The Graphics are prettier, the AI is more subtle, the scale is much more vast covering 4 years worth of technological advances during the war. AND it's the same price!

That CMBO extra disk sold in Britain contains some great 3rd party mods to bring the graphics up to snuff, but CMBB's default graphics were in large part done by the very same people who did CMBO's improved graphics.

I'd vote to jump in with both feet. CMBB's the way to go.

CM:BB has:

14 gazillion armoured vehicles

24 gazillion unit types

More detailed armour penetration model

Covered arcs

Longer time delays for multiple moves.

Longer artillery delays for nearly everything.

More suppression by nearly everything.

It's also about a part of the world that fewer people know about. When I started playing CM:BO,I was familiar with the Normandy landings but I found CM:BB daunting because I was so unfamiliar with war on the Eastern front.

CM:BB is harder to play well, there's no doubt in my mind about it.

Soddball says:

"...because I was so unfamiliar with war on the Eastern front."

I have to share this. Just a couple minutes ago while talking to my supervisor at work, I compared some event or other to the famous Battle of the Bulge. My supervisor stopped me and asked "That was during the Civil War, right?"

I've got to say most CM players are freakin Rhodes Scholars when it comes to history when compared to most other folks out there! Soddball, you should congratulate yourself for even KNOWING there was an Eastern Front! :D;)

(and yes I know the Bulge was Western front so no poking fun.)

[ March 28, 2003, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

thanks guys for the many and varied responses. i did not have too many problems with the BB demo, i have been a CC3 vet for a couple of years now but i must say that this all seems to be a totally new ballgame. i was in Lincoln earlier (UK not Nebraska) and dived in and bought BO a probable snip at £12.99. yup the manual is a pdf file and so shall possibly cost me a ream of paper and an ink cartridge to print it all, next job is to install the game and see just how tough the AI is (it'll more than likely kick my tea sipping UK Ass) smile.gif I'll be back later though most probably in the BO forum for the time being. Red

thanks guys for the many and varied responses. i did not have too many problems with the BB demo, i have been a CC3 vet for a couple of years now but i must say that this all seems to be a totally new ballgame. i was in Lincoln earlier (UK not Nebraska) and dived in and bought BO a probable snip at £12.99. yup the manual is a pdf file and so shall possibly cost me a ream of paper and an ink cartridge to print it all, next job is to install the game and see just how tough the AI is (it'll more than likely kick my tea sipping UK Ass) smile.gif I'll be back later though most probably in the BO forum for the time being. Red

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I think we should warn you Redimpz. After 2 years of playing CMBO (almost daily) I was shocked playing for the first time CMBB, it's much harder. I don't know how much wargaming experience you have. For people who play wargames only occasionally the learning curve of CMBB is very steep, maybe too steep. For me it was too realistic to be fun in the beginning, though I had a lot CMBO experience (frustrated, I sold it on Ebay, then I bought it on Ebay and now I'm happy with it smile.gif ). I had to learn to love CMBB while CMBO was instant fun. I would prefer to learn all the basics with CMBO and not with CMBB since CMBO is more forgiving (don't lead with tanks, ATGs are deadly - buy onmap mortars, place guns in keyhole positions, yes Tigers can be knocked out ............).

The graphics of CMBO will improve a lot with the mods but it will never look as good as CMBB, because CMBB has more detailed polygon-models. IMHO the graphics of CMBO were never spectacular compared to action games, but the immersion is very high. At the moment I'm playing CMBO without any mods (I only have a prehistoric 3d card at the moment) and still I find myself going down to level 1 viewing to follow my troops into battle.

I can't help you with the LAN problem in CMBB, CMBO though has a minor glitch that couldn't be fixed, it sometimes crashes in TCP/IP when gun crews are captured.

To conclude all this, if you're willing to spend a lot of time learning, aren't easily frustrated and if you have (a lot?) wargaming experience you can start with CMBB otherwise I would advise CMBO.

Originally posted by nevermind:

It should however be noted that moneymaxx is a really bad player who never checks his email. :D

I accept the challenge (no it's not peng, for god's sake), today TCP/IP and we'll post the result here :cool: .

And I DO check my email, daily several times! I had to say that so that nobody gets confused, Nevermind made a joke smile.gif .

[ March 28, 2003, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: moneymaxx ]

Originally posted by moneymaxx:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by nevermind:

It should however be noted that moneymaxx is a really bad player who never checks his email. :D

I accept the challenge (no it's not peng, for god's sake), today TCP/IP and we'll post the result here :cool: .

And I DO check my email, daily several times! I had to say that so that nobody gets confused, Nevermind made a joke smile.gif . </font>