CMBB review at Pc Gaming - 4.5 out of 5

Should we really take the advice of someone who calls himself Garcon Bifteck and says stuff like:

I’m not ex-military with a shaven head, a tattoo on my arm and a Doberman called Killer. But I’ve seen films and watched the History Channel. Therefore think I can make a fair enough judgement on this.
<font color=navy><big><big>?</big></big></font>

I mean, to be fair, it was quite a unique review as it spends a paragraph explaining camera views and the mini-battle movies which makes cmbb unique.

I found it funny that watching history channel makes him a good judge of wargame authencity. And hey, I wouldn't be "trying to charge six platoons of men across an open field towards some trees on the other side"

Good review though.

HA HA HA. If one's knowledge of war and strategy is limited to the History Channel and Hollywood movies I pity him. However, his comment that the console crowd won't like this game is on the mark. The last thing the button-mashing console crowd can handle is a game that requires careful planning and thought. I have nothing against the console gaggle (I own several consoles myself), but the average console gamer is certainly not the market for CM,CMBB.

Originally posted by Commissar:

HA HA HA. If one's knowledge of war and strategy is limited to the History Channel and Hollywood movies I pity him. However, his comment that the console crowd won't like this game is on the mark. The last thing the button-mashing console crowd can handle is a game that requires careful planning and thought. I have nothing against the console gaggle (I own several consoles myself), but the average console gamer is certainly not the market for CM,CMBB.

It's not the planning and thought, though, is it - it is the fact that each unit has multiple characteristics, strengths, weaknesses, and interacts with its environment in a myriad of ways - morale, weather, fatigue. A far cry from running one guy around a maze and selecting from two or three weapons. If I was a lab rat, it might hold some excitement for me.

The thing that annoys me with reviews like this, and in general. Is that somehow all reviewers has gotten the idea that there should be music in the game. I don't know about you guys. But if I want music in the game I use winamp. This almost pisses me off, crauts bringing gettho blasters in their Panzers isn't my idea of a good sim.

I think the biggest compliment here is that a non-grog/military gamer/history buff thought this was a great game. There are a lot of niche games that a few people will love but the general public will hate. CMBB is just so well done that it crosses over.

I guess if anyone does want music we could have all the soldiers humming their national anthems over and over. :D

Originally posted by Sgtgoody:

I think the biggest compliment here is that a non-grog/military gamer/history buff thought this was a great game. There are a lot of niche games that a few people will love but the general public will hate. CMBB is just so well done that it crosses over.

I guess if anyone does want music we could have all the soldiers humming their national anthems over and over. :D

I can go as far as to agree to having Edith Piaf singing in CMBO heh..

To his credit, it is clear he actually played the game (if only all reviewers did that) and he does a good job of describing game aspects that are probably unfamiliar to the uninitiated.. some things are still hilarious though:

"I’ve actually not seen an email option in a modern game." one can only imagine what a PBEM game Battlefield 1942 would be like :D

[ January 13, 2003, 07:37 AM: Message edited by: Foxbat ]

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Should we really take the advice of someone who calls himself Garcon Bifteck and says stuff like:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> I’m not ex-military with a shaven head, a tattoo on my arm and a Doberman called Killer. But I’ve seen films and watched the History Channel. Therefore think I can make a fair enough judgement on this.

</font>

Originally posted by Pascal DI FOLCO:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> I’m not ex-military with a shaven head, a tattoo on my arm and a Doberman called Killer. But I’ve seen films and watched the History Channel. Therefore think I can make a fair enough judgement on this.

</font>