MG Suppression in CMBB?

Howdy howdy,

I was a vigorous player of CMBO a summer or two ago (bad, yes, but vigorous, nonetheless) and I remember one of the largest complaints about MG's in that game was that they were unable to suppress multiple targets over their entire field of fire, as real MGs would have been able to by simply traversing their weapon back and forth.

I did my goldarndest to search for the answer to the following question, but could find nary a mention of it, so forgive me if this has been addressed on a daily basis to clueless knobs like myself. But damn the torpedoes, I'm asking anyway; has this been addressed in CMBB? Are MG's able to suppress multiple targets at once? If so, how's it? If not, why come?

Originally posted by Mikhael:

Howdy howdy,

I was a vigorous player of CMBO a summer or two ago (bad, yes, but vigorous, nonetheless) and I remember one of the largest complaints about MG's in that game was that they were unable to suppress multiple targets over their entire field of fire, as real MGs would have been able to by simply traversing their weapon back and forth.

I did my goldarndest to search for the answer to the following question, but could find nary a mention of it, so forgive me if this has been addressed on a daily basis to clueless knobs like myself. But damn the torpedoes, I'm asking anyway; has this been addressed in CMBB? Are MG's able to suppress multiple targets at once? If so, how's it? If not, why come?

Yes they do. And it works well.

Originally posted by Mikhael:

Fantasmagorical! Once I'm back at school I'll definitely be ordering this one up, then.

Surely a few turns now and then won't cut into studies that much, eh? :D

LOL.... I hope not, I go back to school in a couple of weeks...

must savor the current "free" time, which is after my 1 year old on goes to bed and before the wife gets home!

Originally posted by Das Reich:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Mikhael:

Howdy howdy,

Yes they do. And it works well.</font>

Originally posted by Herr Flick:

I'm going to jump in here with a simple question: how do you supress in such manner in CMBB?

I'm very new to CM in general and I have searched the archives for description of proper suppression techniques - to no avail. Do you use cover arcs, or area fire?

Please elaborate... smile.gif

Cheers!

Herr Flick

Use covered arcs, WITHOUT pre-assigning a target to the MG unit.

If a multitude of enemy foot units tries to move through an MG unit's covered arc, the MG unit will typically apply one burst to one such enemy unit, and then shift its fire to the next.

But if you have the MG unit "pre-target" one enemy unit during the orders phase, there is a greater chance then for your MG unit to "stick" at shooting only at that one unit.

As for suppression in general, however, MG's are just one such tool for the job. Light mortars may not pack much blast value, but if grouped together to shell a likely enemy approach route, they can do well enough to at least pin down a few units.

Another way to suppress units with an mg is by area fire. Covered arcs are fine for defense, but when on the offensive, it's often more effective to use area fire. The best use of mg area fire is to find an area where a group of enemy units are located. Center the target in the middle of the group without actually targetting a unit - much like you do when targetting artillery. The game engine will interpret this type of targetting as area fire and spread out the effects of the fire over a wider area. To see what I'm talking about make a test scenario, place about three enemy units in an area about 20m x 20m, then target an mg in the middle of the group. You should see the three units ducking for cover each time the mg opens up.