Help! Anyone here uses DirectX 9b?

I am posting this here and in the CMBO forum because they have more posts that the tech help forum, and I am getting desperate. :(

Latelly, I have been unable to play either CMBO or CMBB in my system without random CTDs or blue screens of death after a few minutes or sometimes seconds.

After trying everything I could think of and following some advices from the Tech help forum I'm starting to think that DirectX9b might be the culprit.

Since I'm not sure, I ask if anyone here has DX9b installed, and does it work on their system with CMBO and CMBB?

TIA!

PS: Sorry for doing this. I don't like to flood multiple forums with the same post, it's just I'm running out of options.

[ October 24, 2003, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: Incoming9000 ]

Originally posted by Incoming9000:

Thanks for the replies.

But do you guys use Nividia cards? or a SB Live! board?

Maybe it's not DX9b, but the conjuction of certain hardware and software... :confused:

I'm using this same combo, nvidia card with a SB Live! soundcard and DX9b. No problems.

What does DXDIAG tell you? Everything honkey-dorey?

No problems here ( knock on wood ). I'm using Windows XP (home) + Service Pack 1, Direct X 9.0b & the latest Nvidia drivers ( on an Nvidia Geforce MX420 card ) with a SB Live! (value) card.

Did you recently update your video card drivers? I've read that sometimes older drivers can leave nasty files behind.

[ October 25, 2003, 05:59 AM: Message edited by: Rob Murray ]

Since the Battlefront FAQ says my problemn is with a corrupt DX file I installed DX9b SDK in the hope it would replace all DX files and install utilities that would give me more info on what might be wrong.

So far no good! :rolleyes:

So I defragemented my HDs, C and D (I've got a 80GB and 40GB HDs). I defraged them several times in the hope it would fix it. Nope.

Then I did something I very rarely do. Something that if not done properly can literally screw up the system.

A BIOS upgrade.

Well, it went fine. And now my mobo can handle AMD CPUs all the way to 2600XP but it still didn't work! :mad:

The good news about all this is that now my system seems to work smoother, and possibly even faster. The defrag must have optimized the HD acess time and the new drivers and settings make the system more stable.

But CM still doesn't work!

But I did find something interesting. If I point the view to the edge of the map away from the center were all the objects are located it takes longer for it to crash. One time it took nearly 30 minutes. But as soon as I point it to the center it only takes a few minutes or seconds.

Interesting... Anyway thanks for all the help I'll just keep on trying....

PS: What chipset do you guys have? Mine is a VIA Apollo KT133A and the board is a Soltek SL-75KAV.

TIA

[ October 25, 2003, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: Incoming9000 ]

Originally posted by Incoming9000:

But I did find something interesting. If I point the view to the edge of the map away from the center were all the objects are located it takes longer for it to crash. One time it took nearly 30 minutes. But as soon as I point it to the center it only takes a few minutes or seconds.

TIA

That sounds like a heat problem. Is CM the only game that crashes? Have you tried other 3D games?

Run the game with the case off and see if all the fans are running. Just an idea.