pbem helper

Hi!

I have looked around the forum for this but couldn´t find anything answering my questions. (Sorry if there is, and I didn´t find it).

I´ve been trying to get the pbem helper to work but I´m having some troubles. Can I use it in combination with yahoo mail or hotmail or does it have to be Outlook? In either case, what do I tell the program when it asks for MAPI or SMTP? And the further on when it asks for server (POP3 etc.)? I have cable (LAN).

Please, anyone?

It also works on folders of saved PBEM moves, you don't have to do the actual mailing for you, although it can.

I use it to watch movies just fine and I get my moves from a procmail script on a FreeBSD server rsynching (cross-continental) the moves on a SMB drive for the games. Works fine except you have to watch PBEM helper's function to move the moves into their own directory.

I am afraid I cannot help you as I use none of the items you use. But keep persevering and just play with the settings till it works - it really is worth the effort.

I have 6 games kept in order by Helper but the real benefit is running trusted mode where in 34 e-mails my opponent and I are on turn 84. I get two movies and two order turns for every e-mail received. The games are more fun to play and the time saved will lengthen your life!.

You can e-mail the inventor Fuerte who is very helpful.

PBEM helper doesn't have to be used inconjuntion with any mail client (such as outlook).

If in dount, it is best to go for the SMTP option: then PBEMH will not need to rely on any email client that you have installed, as long as you have BLAT.dll. I don't know where that comes from... hopefully you have it!!

If you _do_ have a client like Outlook, PBEMH makes it so that you can double-click on the attachement to the email and it does everything so that you end up in the game, password entered and everything.

if you don't have a client, you'll have to save the attachment into your PBEM directory, and PBEMH will find it there.

GaJ.

Just wanted to throw in my two cents. I don't use pbem helper and it is a real bugger for people that do , when they send me email. When I open it to save a pbem it takes forever for my clicks on the attachments to work, it keeps searching for hyperlinks and such. And I for sure can't reply back to the original message, just trying to type in something is a pain. Does anyone know if there is some adjustments that can be made? Some settings that I can change?

You need to tell us more about your setup: what mail client are you using, what (specifically) is causing the problem: what (exactly) are you clicking on and what (exactly) do you see.

The fact that your opponent uses PBEMH should have absolutely zero effect on you.

The only possible reason I can think of for PBEHM opponent causing you problems is if they are accidentally sending you files in PBM format. If the attachment you get from them has a .pbm on the end of its name, then politely ask your opponent to resent it in either text or ZIP format. PBM format is only for PBEMH users.

GaJ.

Hi, again!

Found the name of my broadband company SMTP-server. Tried it out sending files to two different e-mail I have. (One Yahoo and the other on the server of the broadband company) Really confusing, and I still don´t understand it 100%, but think I got it working now.

Cheers!

The emails are in txt, but the whole file is on the face of the email. Where the ones that are not a problem are just have as a attachment. I use outlook. The emails that cause me problems , when I open them, it always says searching for hyperlinks. And as I mentioned all the text is sprawled across the email page.

The emails are in txt, but the whole file is on the face of the email. Where the ones that are not a problem are just have as a attachment. I use outlook. The emails that cause me problems , when I open them, it always says searching for hyperlinks. And as I mentioned all the text is sprawled across the email page. Also, one of my opponents emails always says autoresponder.

Originally posted by kingjames:

The emails are in txt, but the whole file is on the face of the email. Where the ones that are not a problem are just have as a attachment. I use outlook. The emails that cause me problems , when I open them, it always says searching for hyperlinks. And as I mentioned all the text is sprawled across the email page.

It's not linked to PBEMH. I've this problem too (i'm a PBEMH user myself) with some of my opponent. It is related to the e-mail provider. Sometimes ziping the file (which PBEMH can do automatically) solves the problem.

Yes I have a foe whose file comes as a complete text - I think he uses Yahoo. Fortunately he is now using PBEMH in trusted mode so I just hit the open file on the pop-up.

Everything is auto-opened for me so I then press the play button for the first movie, input my turn, watch the second movie, input turn and hten get PBEMH to send it. The question has to be : Why are not mors people using it?

Fortunately all three e-mails this morning were PBEMH in trusted mode. Lovely. One of them a new convert very impressed.

It took us 2 days to do turns 1 -7 , we then switched to Trusted and we are now on turn* 21 today 3 hours after I got up and on three e-mails each! *Turn as in sending a file

Originally posted by dieseltaylor:

Everything is auto-opened for me so I then press the play button for the first movie, input my turn, watch the second movie, input turn and hten get PBEMH to send it. The question has to be : Why are not mors people using it?

Because, I think, it's a bit fiddly to set up and get working nicely.

But it is definitely worth the effort. When I have a few games going at once, I always do the PBEMH ones first...

GaJ.