Helfen Sie mit dem Sturmörsser Tiger. (Help with the Sturmörsser Tiger.)

Originally posted by Bone_Vulture:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Moon:

Tigerkommendant, since you are obviously not a German-speaker (as opposed to some other people, including myself), please use only the english language in this forum. Thanks!

You mean "since he can speak English", or are you saying that Herr kommandant is a poser?

I can teach you people to curse in Finnish. </font>

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always remember that "one in a million" chances crop up 9 times out of 10.

Anyhow, I think a german-speaking japanese ought to be required to post in Swahili. Just for equality's sake.

@Bone Vulture : hey, come in lad ! That's definitely one language I'm short. I already know some English, Russian, Polish, Spanish, German, Japanese and Chinese swearwords (no regular, everyday words of course. When I travel abroad, I'd rather know how to say "get the feck out of my way, idjit !" than "where's the bathroom, please". That's the French for you. I do know how to say "I love vodka" in Russian though. Very, very important phrase.). A little cultural complement might come in handy.

Always remember that "one in a million" chances crop up 9 times out of 10.

Anyhow, I think a german-speaking japanese ought to be required to post in Swahili. Just for equality's sake.

@Bone Vulture : hey, come in lad ! That's definitely one language I'm short. I already know some English, Russian, Polish, Spanish, German, Japanese and Chinese swearwords (no regular, everyday words of course. When I travel abroad, I'd rather know how to say "get the feck out of my way, idjit !" than "where's the bathroom, please". That's the French for you. I do know how to say "I love vodka" in Russian though. Very, very important phrase.). A little cultural complement might come in handy.

Well, I need a second opinion from Sergei. I cannot peddle the treasures of Finnish culture without consulting my fellows first. redface.gif

I don't see any harm in doing this. So, welcome to our

<font size="+3">THE FINNISH WORDS YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT™</font>

section (generously funded by the Finnish Ministry of Cultural Imperialism). Remember, pronounciation isn't as important as the emotionalism of your reading, so always read these like if your wife had just been impaled by a rabid reindeer's horns and then the reindeer drank all your beer as well.

hellanlettas - there is no precise translation for this one, but it involves your grandmother, a Swedish lutefisk and some African killer bees

jukra - this is the name of a demon in the ancient Finnish religion, and usually uttering his words results in the sun being eclipsed, bats flying around and a sudden smell of sulphur, so we try to avoid saying it aloud

himputti - this is a very strong word, so strong in fact that if I tried to translate it here, the staff would have to ban me, so I'm not doing that

sampermentti - nobody knows what it means, but it offends everyone regardless

I think these should be enough for anyone, but if you get angry in Finland and forget these, you can just take any word with an 'r' and stretch the 'r', like "hamburrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgerrrrr!!!!", and everyone knows that you've gone mad.

Well, I need a second opinion from Sergei. I cannot peddle the treasures of Finnish culture without consulting my fellows first. redface.gif

I don't see any harm in doing this. So, welcome to our

<font size="+3">THE FINNISH WORDS YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT™</font>

section (generously funded by the Finnish Ministry of Cultural Imperialism). Remember, pronounciation isn't as important as the emotionalism of your reading, so always read these like if your wife had just been impaled by a rabid reindeer's horns and then the reindeer drank all your beer as well.

hellanlettas - there is no precise translation for this one, but it involves your grandmother, a Swedish lutefisk and some African killer bees

jukra - this is the name of a demon in the ancient Finnish religion, and usually uttering his words results in the sun being eclipsed, bats flying around and a sudden smell of sulphur, so we try to avoid saying it aloud

himputti - this is a very strong word, so strong in fact that if I tried to translate it here, the staff would have to ban me, so I'm not doing that

sampermentti - nobody knows what it means, but it offends everyone regardless

I think these should be enough for anyone, but if you get angry in Finland and forget these, you can just take any word with an 'r' and stretch the 'r', like "hamburrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgerrrrr!!!!", and everyone knows that you've gone mad.

That reminds me of something I wanted to post : the French units in-game sounds are great (to my knowledge, it's one of the only original version games (or films for that matter) to use real french voices to do the job, and not an french-speaking american/british/german with a horrible horrible accent who'd make you want to slaughter your own troops in anger.), and (until now) I thought they were the only ones to use profanity.

I can't recall any American or British units using swearwords, Germans neither but then again I learned German in high school for only 4 years, so I don't understand most of what they say (actually, since those high school years are far, far back, all I understand is "Vorwärts...MARSCH !", "Aufgeht's, LOS LOS LOS LOS !", "Sani !" and the word for "Reload !" which I can't for the life of me remember right now). Is there any sound file where they use the (at the time) famous "Schweinhund !" ?

Anyhow, French units use many cusswords in-game, (which definitely fits the French military. I don't know about your grunts, but our soldiers are well known here for their everyday use of the worst profanity), as in "Allez, allez ! Bougez vous le cul !" (Go on, go on ! MOVE YOUR A*S !).

They even use Arabic expressions , as in "En avant, yallah ! yallah !" ("yallah !" being the Arabic word for "Forward !"). Although common Arabic words slowly crept into French language during and after WW2 (and the Algerian War), the Foreign Legion was known for being mixed with Arabic culture very early on. (I know, that sentence doesn't make much sense, but I couldn't think of anything better. HEY ! I'd like to hear *you* speak French 'round these parts !)

I was truely impressed by the extent of BFC's research regarding foreign languages when I first heard those.

That reminds me of something I wanted to post : the French units in-game sounds are great (to my knowledge, it's one of the only original version games (or films for that matter) to use real french voices to do the job, and not an french-speaking american/british/german with a horrible horrible accent who'd make you want to slaughter your own troops in anger.), and (until now) I thought they were the only ones to use profanity.

I can't recall any American or British units using swearwords, Germans neither but then again I learned German in high school for only 4 years, so I don't understand most of what they say (actually, since those high school years are far, far back, all I understand is "Vorwärts...MARSCH !", "Aufgeht's, LOS LOS LOS LOS !", "Sani !" and the word for "Reload !" which I can't for the life of me remember right now). Is there any sound file where they use the (at the time) famous "Schweinhund !" ?

Anyhow, French units use many cusswords in-game, (which definitely fits the French military. I don't know about your grunts, but our soldiers are well known here for their everyday use of the worst profanity), as in "Allez, allez ! Bougez vous le cul !" (Go on, go on ! MOVE YOUR A*S !).

They even use Arabic expressions , as in "En avant, yallah ! yallah !" ("yallah !" being the Arabic word for "Forward !"). Although common Arabic words slowly crept into French language during and after WW2 (and the Algerian War), the Foreign Legion was known for being mixed with Arabic culture very early on. (I know, that sentence doesn't make much sense, but I couldn't think of anything better. HEY ! I'd like to hear *you* speak French 'round these parts !)

I was truely impressed by the extent of BFC's research regarding foreign languages when I first heard those.

Now that you mention it, I do remember hearing a couple "tvoy' mat !" in CMBB (meaning "...your mother !") and "tchort !" ("Devil !")

Since we're on the topic of units sounds, does it mean anything when my infantry goes "Have you seen this ?!?" or "Heard that ?!?" ? Is it just a random sound like "Secure the bloody flanks", or is it a real incentive to stop all movement and watch for hidden ennemies ?

[ June 03, 2004, 07:58 AM: Message edited by: Kobal2 ]

Now that you mention it, I do remember hearing a couple "tvoy' mat !" in CMBB (meaning "...your mother !") and "tchort !" ("Devil !")

Since we're on the topic of units sounds, does it mean anything when my infantry goes "Have you seen this ?!?" or "Heard that ?!?" ? Is it just a random sound like "Secure the bloody flanks", or is it a real incentive to stop all movement and watch for hidden ennemies ?

[ June 03, 2004, 07:58 AM: Message edited by: Kobal2 ]

Please ignor all of this bull@#$%. I have been out of town. Looks like my little brother has been on my computer and fooling with my folders. He even downloaded this damn Translating Software on it. Sorry about the inconvienience.

(THAT LITTLE BASTERD GOT MY E-MAIL TOO!!)

Originally posted by Tigerkommandant:

Ich kann Englisch nicht sprechen. Ich spreche Japaner. Ich bin ursprünglich von Stuttgart, Deutschland. Ich habe zu Osaka bewegt, als ich ein Kind war, damit mein Deutsch rostig ist. Ich habe eine Softwaresteigung zu helfen, für mich zu übersetzen, und es hat Japaner, hense mein Deutsch nicht.

(I can't speak English. I speak Japanese. I am originally from Stuttgart, Germany. I moved to Osaka when I was a child so my German is rusty. I have a software upgrade to help translate for me, and it doesn't have Japanese, hense my German.)

Dann lass' das Deutsch weg. Egal wie rostig es ist, wenn Du es halbwegs lesen könntest würdest Du feststellen, daß es Schrott ist. Wenn du dann noch google et al. Dein "Deutsch" in Englisch übersetzen lassen würdest, würde Dir einiges auffallen.

Leave out the German parts. No matter how rusty it is, if you would be able to at least read a few bits you would see that it is crap. If you would use google et al. to translate your German into Englisch, you'd notice a few things...

This is the translation of your translation:

"I cannot speak English. I speak Japanese. I am original from Stuttgart, Germany. I induced to Osaka, when I was a child, so that my German is rusty. I have to help a software upward gradient to translate for me and it does not have Japanese, hense my German."

I especially like the "upward gradient". Even beats your typo in "probebly"... There's no German word that is spelled remotely similar to that... not so in English.

Gruß

Joachim

Please ignor all of this bull@#$%. I have been out of town. Looks like my little brother has been on my computer and fooling with my folders. He even downloaded this damn Translating Software on it. Sorry about the inconvienience.

(THAT LITTLE BASTERD GOT MY E-MAIL TOO!!)

Originally posted by Tigerkommandant:

Ich kann Englisch nicht sprechen. Ich spreche Japaner. Ich bin ursprünglich von Stuttgart, Deutschland. Ich habe zu Osaka bewegt, als ich ein Kind war, damit mein Deutsch rostig ist. Ich habe eine Softwaresteigung zu helfen, für mich zu übersetzen, und es hat Japaner, hense mein Deutsch nicht.

(I can't speak English. I speak Japanese. I am originally from Stuttgart, Germany. I moved to Osaka when I was a child so my German is rusty. I have a software upgrade to help translate for me, and it doesn't have Japanese, hense my German.)

Dann lass' das Deutsch weg. Egal wie rostig es ist, wenn Du es halbwegs lesen könntest würdest Du feststellen, daß es Schrott ist. Wenn du dann noch google et al. Dein "Deutsch" in Englisch übersetzen lassen würdest, würde Dir einiges auffallen.

Leave out the German parts. No matter how rusty it is, if you would be able to at least read a few bits you would see that it is crap. If you would use google et al. to translate your German into Englisch, you'd notice a few things...

This is the translation of your translation:

"I cannot speak English. I speak Japanese. I am original from Stuttgart, Germany. I induced to Osaka, when I was a child, so that my German is rusty. I have to help a software upward gradient to translate for me and it does not have Japanese, hense my German."

I especially like the "upward gradient". Even beats your typo in "probebly"... There's no German word that is spelled remotely similar to that... not so in English.

Gruß

Joachim

When I taught German, I would occasionally start class by having the students say a sentence in German. One time a student came in late, but while we were still doing the sentence bit, and when her turn came, she said, "Ich bin verstorben." As this means something like "I'm dead," I was confused and said something original like "You're dead?"

She replied by saying that "verstorben" meant "late;" when I suggested that this was not the case, she showed me in her dictionary where "late" was defined as "verstorben" - although the dictionary neglected to explain that verstorben means "late" only in the sense of "the late president Kennedy."

When I taught German, I would occasionally start class by having the students say a sentence in German. One time a student came in late, but while we were still doing the sentence bit, and when her turn came, she said, "Ich bin verstorben." As this means something like "I'm dead," I was confused and said something original like "You're dead?"

She replied by saying that "verstorben" meant "late;" when I suggested that this was not the case, she showed me in her dictionary where "late" was defined as "verstorben" - although the dictionary neglected to explain that verstorben means "late" only in the sense of "the late president Kennedy."