Do Germans Have Better Morale Than The Russians?

Hmmm good question.

I think its just random.

I have not seen much difference between HQ bonuses for each country afaik.

Sometimes i have veteran HQ units with only 1 bonus and a green unit with 3 bonuses, so i think its random and not depending of the experience or the unit ( should Russian Guard HQ units have more bonuses than plain inf. HQ units ? )

Monty

[ July 25, 2003, 03:29 AM: Message edited by: Monty ]

I'd say that German veterans get less bonus than Soviet green troops. Checking the bonus of surrendered Soviets, I often find HQs with +2+2+2+2. Never encountered this for the Germans except in scenarios.

Gruß

Joachim

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alles ist schlechter gewoden, nur eins ist besser geworden: Die Moral ist schlechter geworden

(All got worse, only one thing got better: morale got worse)

Originally posted by Walpurgis Night:

One thing is for sure . . .you want better bonuses, buy better troops. Vets have a much better chance at getting better bonuses than regs, than greens, etc.

typical. the guys that need it the least, get it the most!

If I buy regular troops which I usually do, Soviet HQ's tend to be "green" as often as not.

Anyone else notice this or do I just consistently have odd luck with that?

50% of my tank platoon HQ's are green and the last three battalion HQ's have been green also.

It's my impression that Pz Grenadiers have better morale than Soviet Guards.

I have no proof of this, of course, it's just a gut feeling, and anecdotal evidence.

I've played quite a few Pz Gren vs Guards battles in the last few weeks, from both sides. The Soviets seem to break with ease, even with overwhelming superiority of numbers.

In one particular assault, I sent two Soviet SMG platoons and a full rifle company, supported by two maxims to eliminate a Pz Grenadier position held by an SS rifle platoon and a heavy MG42.

Result? The SMG platoons was stopped dead in its tracks, most were panicked or broken. The rifle company made it to the woods where the Germans were hiding, but many squads were shaken, a few were pinned.

I've also noticed that Soviet squads tend to break even if no casualties are taken. Oppositely, I've seen regular Pz Gren squads break after taking over 50% casualties, and dropping to a pinned or cautious status in the same turn.

Like I said, these are just my impressions. It would be interesting to test to see if this is really the case.

Phemur

Originally posted by Phemur:

I've also noticed that Soviet squads tend to break even if no casualties are taken. Oppositely, I've seen regular Pz Gren squads break after taking over 50% casualties, and dropping to a pinned or cautious status in the same turn.

I've noticed this after 2 PBEM games...

Now maybe I'm just imagining things too but I had Russian squads panic and break in single turns by mg fire coming from 300 meters away.

I had a regular russian Company HQ panic in my current game because of some light fire around them while my German counterparts seemed to stand their ground until they were killed.

Like I said, I have only 2 games of experience with CMBB, but this is my initial impression of playing both sides once. My German soldiers in the other game seemed to hold against incoming fire a good deal better.

What's everyone's else experience?

I do believe Russian experience is a notch below the equivalent German units in the early war. It was designed that way to reflect the effect of Stalin's pre-war purges. And experience affects moral and the tendency to break.

I feel the Russians getting tougher and tougher as the war progresses, til by '45 you do not want to face-off against a veteran Guards unit.

One special problem the Russians have to contend with is that darned German squad mg34 light mg! If the Russians are assaulting a unit without that squad mg the Germans are likely to get steam-rollered. If the Russians assault a unit with the squad mg things are MUCH tougher. Perhaps this is the source of your perceived lowered Russian morale during a fight?

[ July 25, 2003, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Originally posted by zukkov:

typical. the guys that need it the least, get it the most! [/QB]

Ever consider that the guys who make it to Veteran status have learned something, and would give them those bonuses?

If I bought Crack troops, I would expect more bonuses from its leaders, not just guys with 'better' morale because they are on crack.

Not trying to take over the post but I was wondering if the HMG42 was a better MG then the Russian's Maxin? I know the 42 was suppose to be state of the art and all that compared to the MG's the Americans and the Brits had but have idea about the Maxin.

Originally posted by MAsta_KFC:

Yes, sometimes I find it absolutely RIDICULOUS, that veteran or even crack troops HQ confer little or not bonus. I don't know, but do Crack and Vet HQ receive minimum at least one bonus?

I always though of bonuses as traits picked up by a commander that lets him excel at a certain thing.

A regular HQ with no bonus for combat is the same as a green HQ with a +1 for combat. Likewise a Crack HQ with a +2 bonus for command is better than a Elite HQ with no bonus for command.