Knock yourself out

So...I have some german infantry directly--within 10 meters-- in front of an M-10 tank destroyer. I see the barrel of the gun move down to an extreme lowered position.

Boom. A big crater in front of the AFV. (misses my infantry)

The M-10 is immediately abandoned.

Could it have caused its own abandonement? I could not find anything else shooting at the tank destroyer. Visibility was low--50 meters (Enough is Enough scenario). Could a big HE explosion cause a crew to leave their vehicle, even if it was their own shell?

I realize I could probably test this, but I am at work, and I want to continue my current scenario when I get home (Hello 2nd Armored).

I almost made the subject of this thread "Self-abandonement", but that just sounded too odd.

oh yeah, you blew yourself up. Happens quite easily with the light armored + large gun afvs. It's really good if the crew is trying to thread the needle past a nearby house, hit the house, shrapnel hits them and they all abandon. If you check the kill screen they probably got credit for killing themselves. Seriously.

I had the same problem with the US GMC gun carriage - it knocked itself out. Also got credit for this, as well, in the kill section :D

On a more realistic note, as defender my AT guns have been abandoned when they were setup behind houses that were reduced to rubble - apparently the rubble fell on them and knocked them out!