Anti-tank Gun Question

Folks,

First of, I love the game and all the hard work that everyone has put into it. Secondly, I know there are reams of posts on this, but I couldn't find any recent ones searching under "gun hull down unhittable," "gun unhittable," and "gun bug." Thirdly, I know this will be addressed with the official patch, but for the time being...

What is the best, most recent solution to the FREAKIN' unhittable ATGs? Is there an ingame non-1.03 tactic to use?

The reason I ask is that my crafty opponent has placed several ATGs in trenches with very nice lines of fire. After essentially having four or five StuGs and MkIV empty all their HE from different firing positions at two ATGs without doing anything other than burrowing in the ground 60 meters in front, I have now had four shot up from a gun that he drug onto a height that I bypassed.

Kudos to him for the move, but I want to kick the screen in because essentially two ATGs have stopped all infantry and armor movement now.

MG fire will keep ATGs temporarily supressed but you'll need to get some troops in to finish the job.

Mortars will also quickly panic, and temporarily render useless, any gun without an HQ attached.

If none of the above, use as much area fire from all the HE guns that you can muster.

Good (retrospective) hunting

If you're talking 81mm or smaller mortars all you can really hope for is suppression usually if the ATGs are inside trenches. Put in some MG fire for added suppression.

Whatever you do, don't act too hastily if time permits. Set up your base of fire first(artillery, MGs, rifle fire, etc.). Wait just a tad bit after your firing starts then do whatever maneuvering needs to be done. If you've got flammenwerfers then it could get interesting.

For situations like this, this is why I usually like having something like a StuH'42 around, or better yet a much tougher and gunned Brummbar, my favorite infantry killing AFV. With large caliber guns you don't need to hit directly. Closeby impacts are almost as good. Also, you're not wasting valuable indirect artillery from larger guns like the 105mm on up.

Originally posted by Thermopylae:

Alternatively, aim for the ground 3m to the left or right of the gun.

Actually, this doesn't work that often. If the tanks consider the ATG a threat to their lives (as often is the case), they will automatically retarget the gun, ignoring any area fire commands you have given.

It is good to keep in mind that by following your targetting line, you can predict if the shells are gonna hit the target or the ground inbetween. If the line is straight as an arrow, the shells are going to fall where they're supposed to. But if there is a big bend on the line caused by some ridge, bump or somesuch, it is likely that some or all of the shells are going to hit that. If at all possible, occupy high country (unfortunately this sometimes means forgetting hull-down position).

Originally posted by Warmaker:

If you're talking 81mm or smaller mortars all you can really hope for is suppression usually if the ATGs are inside trenches.

I don't agree with this: I've noticed that the cover field guns receive from trenches is quite pathetic, and not noticeably better than that given by foxholes.

Originally posted by Sergei:

Actually, this doesn't work that often. If the tanks consider the ATG a threat to their lives (as often is the case), they will automatically retarget the gun, ignoring any area fire commands you have given.

There's a possibility to avoid this: give your tank a very thin cover arc that spans over the area right next to the targeted gun. Now, area fire inside this arc: the chances that your tanks will break the arc to retarget the gun are meager.

Originally posted by Bone_Vulture:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Warmaker:

If you're talking 81mm or smaller mortars all you can really hope for is suppression usually if the ATGs are inside trenches.

I don't agree with this: I've noticed that the cover field guns receive from trenches is quite pathetic, and not noticeably better than that given by foxholes.

</font>

Originally posted by Wunsche:

Thanks for the help, gentlemen. Now that means I need to bring more mortars to the game. I did pop a full 81mm onboard at one of these entrenched devils and didn't manage anything but suppression...

You're just having a bad day... If the ammo capacity of a single 81mm mortar isn't enough to knock out a field gun, then fortune is really playing you for a fool.

Just to add: For this mission I try to locate the mortar with LOS and target the gun directly, rather than area fire with an HQ spotting. Seems to produce a better chance of actually hitting and knocking out the gun itself, rather than suppressing the crew.

- Matt

Actually I am that 'gamey opponent' and lets get one thing straight - I didn't deliberately position my ATG's in trenches in unhittable terrain. And the one ATG gun that took out the 4 tanks wasn't dug into a height he bypassed. He knew the gun was there and chose to attack my main position without surpressing or covering it. So my crew actually pushed it 75 metres up to the top of a hill (in full view) and took out the tanks with flank/rear shots from 500 metres plus.

As for the 81mm mortar not being effective...the crew was broken more than once and also came under small arms fire causing it to go into panic. However I had a company HQ in the trench next to the gun so the crew didn't abandon their weapon but started firng again.

[ May 11, 2003, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: Gary T ]

Originally posted by Gary T:

Actually I am that 'gamey opponent' and lets get one thing straight - I didn't deliberately position my ATG's in trenches in unhittable terrain. And the one ATG gun that took out the 4 tanks wasn't dug into a height he bypassed. He knew the gun was there and chose to attack my main position without surpressing or covering it. So my crew actually pushed it 75 metres up to the top of a hill (in full view) and took out the tanks with flank/rear shots from 500 metres plus.

As for the 81mm mortar not being effective...the crew was broken more than once and also came under small arms fire causing it to go into panic. However I had a company HQ in the trench next to the gun so the crew didn't abandon their weapon but started firng again.

:D

respect the member number, fools...

Not only do I respect the low member number, but Gary is great fun to play against. So no disrespect intended, I am merely trying to make sure that I learn how to deal with these situations in the future. And just for the record, nowhere nohow do I claim that Gary was being gamey.

[ May 11, 2003, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: Wunsche ]