Hi, I'm new.

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Denwad:

I meant a normal sherman with APFSDS.

Alright, kid! The gloves are coming off! Now yer gonna find out what this board is really all about!

;)

Seriously, the Sherman never had APFSDS...at least until the Israelis got ahold of it. In fact, I don't think anybody had APFSDS until, what, the late '60s (when did the Sovs start using it? I know they had it by the time of the Yom Kippur war).

And only the Firefly had APDS as far as I know.

Michael </font>

Funny, my Dad just watches me and says, "What are you doing with those red and yellow lines..." or "are you playing that shoot'em up bang, bang game again?" LOL I tried to get him to play it, I think He'll stick to Risk and Axis & Allies. :D I must have been oh, 15 when I started playing CM back in the CMBO beta days; the last three year have been interesting, and no its not because of Madmatt... ok maybe it is.

[ July 13, 2003, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: Panzerman ]

Originally posted by Nidan1:

I believe, although I am spouting off without fully checking facts right now, that APFSDS rounds were used when the Soviets started using smoothbore tank guns, maybe with the T-62? That would put in the late 1960s early '70s.

This is my thought too, although like you I don't have any reference to hand. Did the T-55 ever have a smoothbore gun? I simply can't recall.

Michael

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Nidan1:

I believe, although I am spouting off without fully checking facts right now, that APFSDS rounds were used when the Soviets started using smoothbore tank guns, maybe with the T-62? That would put in the late 1960s early '70s.

This is my thought too, although like you I don't have any reference to hand. Did the T-55 ever have a smoothbore gun? I simply can't recall.

Michael </font>

The T-55??? When was this? What missile?

Michael

Right...rifled barrel, definitely.

info

looks like it had a barrel-launched missile on the T-55M though:

"ATGM Launcher

Name D-10T2S gun

Launch Method Gun-launched

Guidance SACLOS, Infrared laser-beam rider

Command Link Encoded laser-beam

Launcher Dismountable No "

[ July 14, 2003, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: Lumbergh ]