BFC: idea for CM II engine

Another unsolicited suggestion for the engine rewrite:

Would it be possible to have a second layer of "toggleable on/off" map text? Currently a nice way of giving some extra intelligence during the text briefing is to say something like "known enemy OP in location X" or "contact with enemy scouts 45 minutes ago at location Y" and that can easily go onto the map as a Landmark Text. Aesthetically that may not always be necessary to have "cluttering up" the map, whereas you might always want to leave "Road to Schnitzengruben" or "Commissar Madmatt's House" landmarks visible. Maybe "Ctrl-t" once for "Layer 1 Text" to go away, "Ctrl-t" again for all to go away, "Ctrl-t" a third time for it all to appear again, kind of like different levels of smoke detail.

Certainly not a revolution, but it would be a cute feature to have.

-dale

You guys are thinking way too small.

Next time around, I want, (and fully expect to see smile.gif ), briefings as fully animated presentations using the map itself.

Give the designers a few map presentation commands like 'Zoom in on Point Alpha', 'Highlight Yellow Zone', 'Draw Force Arrow from A to B'... You get it.

When combined with hopefully much more sophisticated victory conditions/goals... Wow.

Eden

Originally posted by flamingknives:

I'd quite like to see/hear ;) speed of sound modeled. So you'd see a ridgeline explode under artillery bombardment, but the noise wouldn't reach you for a second or two. Or the sound of an 88 firing would reach you after the shell.

I would to see that as well. ;)

As the guy most likely to be put in charge of sound effects for the new engine I have already warned Charles about some of the stuff I am going to want to add.

You model and texture monkeys aint got nothing on an insane sound engineer like myself!

MWAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA!!!!

Madmatt

[ February 10, 2003, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

Posted by: Madmatt

As the guy most likely to be put in charge of sound effects for the new engine I have already warned Charles about some of the stuff I am going to want to add.

You model and texture monkeys aint got nothing on an insane sound engineer like myself!

MWAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA!!!!

Madmatt

Doppler-distorted T34s/hellcats/helicopters/chocolate cheescake?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Originally posted by Madmatt:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by flamingknives:

I'd quite like to see/hear ;) speed of sound modeled. So you'd see a ridgeline explode under artillery bombardment, but the noise wouldn't reach you for a second or two. Or the sound of an 88 firing would reach you after the shell.

I would to see that as well. ;)

As the guy most likely to be put in charge of sound effects for the new engine I have already warned Charles about some of the stuff I am going to want to add...

Madmatt </font>