Are planes worth their points?

Is it worth spending money on planes in a PBEM?

So far I hadnt bought one as Iam not sure if theyre worth a dime and theyre very costy. What if I buy a, lets say, IL2. Will it have tanks as priority targets? Can planes turn an almost lost game?

I had a Heinkel tank buster turn the game around for me when I was playing "Borisovka Station". The enemy infantry had almost reached my infantry's positions and I had lost most of my AT assets. The Soviets still had plenty of armor left. So, I was in dire straits. That plane(planes?) came and knocked out 9 tanks, if I remember correctly. Then again, that wasn't a PBEM scenario.

Originally posted by Crinius:

Is it worth spending money on planes in a PBEM?

So far I hadnt bought one as Iam not sure if theyre worth a dime and theyre very costy. What if I buy a, lets say, IL2. Will it have tanks as priority targets? Can planes turn an almost lost game?

In a recent pbem game in a CMBO scenario, I had a plane show up four turns later than it was supposed to arrive. It then proceeded to drop its bombs on two men fleeing from an enemy tank a bazooka killed. About a hundred meters to its right, was a nice 88mm ATG and a concrete bunker the pilot decided to ignore.

• 2 weeks later...

"I had a Heinkel tank buster turn the game around for me when I was playing "Borisovka Station". The enemy infantry had almost reached my infantry's positions and I had lost most of my AT assets. The Soviets still had plenty of armor left. So, I was in dire straits. That plane(planes?) came and knocked out 9 tanks, if I remember correctly. Then again, that wasn't a PBEM scenario." Originally posted by Shmavis, I love the scenario "Borisovka Station". It's the only scenario out of 226 that I have played that I have shot down an aircraft.