Can tanks run troops over???

Interesting.

I was fooling around with a reverse slope defense as germans (dug-in foxholes), and russian tanks (various types) poring over the slope.

Well, on more than one occasion, the tanks actually flopped downslope quickly towards the foxholes and it incurred injuries to a squad. What is not clear is whether the tank actually went over the foxholes (because my units are scaled +4). But the injuries to the squad were real.

[ January 04, 2003, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: laxx ]

There was a lot of real-world application of overrun. The SOP for tanks encountering trenches undefended by AT assets was to drive onto the trench and either flood it with carbon monoxide or turn in place on top of it, which collapsed the trench and brought lots of dirt (and the tank) on top of the hapless occupants. It worked with foxholes too. Also, at close range, if a tank encountered an AT gun, it wouldn't bother stopping, aiming and shooting, which would give the AT gun time to fire, but just drive right over it, disabling and panicking the crew. Now running over infantry is more gamey, because the infantry is by no means a stationary target. I mean, if you saw a tank trying to run you over, you'd get out of the way, right? :cool:

Originally posted by Lane:

Also saw a Flametrower standing in his own

fire and won't burn. Seems I saw a guy walk

through a area on fire from flametrower.

And it's a hard...

And it's a hard...

And it's a hard...

And it's a hard...

A hard rain's gonna fall....

Oops Sorry. That just came to mind while reading your post. :D

AFVs can overrun AT guns in CM (to my knowledge). As previously pointed out they can't overrun infantry.

To be honest I don't know how realistic it is to overrun infantry in the manner that some here are wishing for. Yes, it did happen during the war on several fronts. However I can't imagine a tank turning in place, etc. trying to ground up 'crunchies' underneath its treads (which are only so wide to begin with) in a dangerous assault. If the infantry are in anything bigger than a two-man foxhole there's a good chance that the tank could get immobilized, posing a true danger to the crew being in such close proximity to enemy infantry (who may get emboldened to attack an AFV that's immobilized).

It's my impression that most 'overruns' were just that - they overran the enemy positions without stopping, thus severely compromising the Main Line of Resistance. To expect casualties each time an AFV comes into contact with dug-in troops is highly unrealistic in my opinion. However 'shock'/suppression from such an event would be realistic in my opinion, thus making it easier for follow-on infantry to mop up.

I have read that actual, physical overruns by tanks was mostly a feature of the early war when they just had those small "popgun" cannon and the infantry lacked much in the way of anti-armor weaponry. Once tank guns were commonly 75mm or larger, it made more sense to stay beyond the range of whatever weaponry the infantry might have and just shoot at them.

Michael

This is an excerpt from the memoirs section at the Russian Battlefield site........

http://www.iremember.ru/infantry/shelepov/shelepov.html

The sentence about a German Panther with

RED tracks is what stuck in my mind

- What happened next?

- The German tanks appeared on the ridge. Some ten of them at once - they rolled forward at a relatively high speed and fired machine-guns at our fleeing infantry. I remember that stupid thought - "this is IT!" - that passed through my mind. That was really terrifying - a tank assault! They even fired their main guns non-stop. This has a very strong effect on the inexperienced soldiers, although it is almost impossible to fire accurately on the move. But the psychological effect is devastating! I also wavered, although I had experienced this kind of attacks before. I knew the main thing was not to flee, although my legs wanted to run themselves. We had to let the tanks pass through our positions and stop the Panzergrenadiers. But the tanks turned and rolled along our defensive line, merely squashing us. I saw one of the tanks detonating a land mine...

- Where did the mines come from?

- The engineer platoon made it to plant mines on the road. Two tanks were knocked out by those mines, one of them burnt out and the other one, with smashed up road wheels, had been firing for a long time, before it was surrounded and burnt. I want to tell you one thing - this might all sound heroic, but there was nothing heroic in that fight. I just saw a German Panther with red tracks. They were red with blood, but I realized that much later. I do not remember what I was thinking about during that fight. I remember the fight itself quite vaguely. They said I knocked out one tank, but I am not sure if it was really "my tank". Most likely, the leadership needed living heroes, not dead ones. This is why in the hospital (that was Ivan Ignatievich's last wound - he lost his leg in that battle - Valera) I received the Order of Glory.

One thing a lot of people don't realize is just how easy it is for a tank to get stuck or, even worst, to roll over. I have seen M60s roll on a moderate hill from running over an unfilled foxhole. I have almost rolled an M113 while running over a tree. My point is that fighting positions other than hasty foxholes (what we called shallow graves) are a genuine hazard for armored vehicles. Even if you don't turn over, suddenly hitting a hole can break springs and roadwheels or throw track :mad: which can spell death on the battlefield. Especially if you have a bunch of PO'd infantry running around.

Most tanks will avoid running over terrain likely to cause them trouble if they can help it. After all why should they risk damage to their vehicle when they can sit back and lob HE. While tanks will definitly squash anyone foolish enough to stand in their way, they will not normally go out of their way to run down a crunchy (although they do say infantry make the best track grease :D ) and risk getting nailed by something bigger.

For the infantry getting over-run by tanks is not necessarily the same as getting run-over by tanks.

If any of you have seen the movie "Stalingrad," there is a scene where a T34 runs over and then pivot stears on a German infantryman. All the while there are AT armed infantry and a PAK 40 in close proximity. In real life that 34 would have been meat.

Tanks can overrun AT guns for sure , but can´t harm infantry.....However in cmbo infantry (in foxholes) ran away when my tank moved over them.

You can try it for yourself...create a scenario with a tank that has no machine gun and remove the ammo for the mai gun. then hide some troops that don´t have anti tank weapons in a straigth line in foxholes...set the weather conditions to poor sigth (dense fog)...then let the tank move straigth over them.....the troops jump up and move out of the way of the tank.