Request no-CD option for CMAK

Just a simple request. I still play CMBO. I will be playing CMBB for a long time. When CMAK comes out, I will buy and play that as well. Now then....to greatly reduce the chances of ruining one of those valuable disks, I humbly beseech thee o' BTS to please please please give us the option to fully install CMAK then never have to put in the CD again. It's a pain in the butt, I've already ruined one disk this way, and those of us with kids would be forever in your debt.

Thanks

well i dont know too many people that have the game that arent running no cd?

i run no cd for exactly that reason.....now,i wont say how to do it,as im not sure if its a touchy subject,but i will say its not hard to find the tools to do it......as far as i know,you can legally back up your cd,s whether it be to HD or CD,,at least it is in this country.

I guess a nocd version will not be considered. Two alternatives that would work well for me are

1) Allow PBEM turns to be processed (no new games started, just ongoing games)

or

2) Consider all CM disk as valid. That is, if CMBO or CMBB is in the drive then allow CMAK to launch

Originally posted by Visom:

I guess a nocd version will not be considered. Two alternatives that would work well for me are

1) Allow PBEM turns to be processed (no new games started, just ongoing games)

or

2) Consider all CM disk as valid. That is, if CMBO or CMBB is in the drive then allow CMAK to launch

Woot!!

This is a whole lot better than my idea of submitting hair,blood,urine and semen samples to prove that i did indeed buy the game. :eek: :D

I second his ideas!

Originally posted by Priest:

I have been playing CMBO from day one and no disk wear out yet, not sure what the issue is...

Lets say you have PBEM opponents in both BO and BB.We'll say 3 in each.Now,all 6 of them do about 2 turns per day.Look how many times you have to switch out the disk per day.To heck with hurting the CD,what about the poor door on my drive?

This of course applys more to people who have access to their pc all day,and not just for a few hours a day.

[ April 16, 2003, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: nevermind ]

Originally posted by Visom:

Now THAT is a great idea. It's not like any other CDs are in that drive.

Or just use the same copy protection so that certain solutions will also work with the CMAK.

*cough*Daemon Tools*cough*

Originally posted by nevermind:

A quick question....how many devices is it safe to have.If you have like 10 of 'em,will it cause problems?Slow downs,etc....just curious

Four is the limit, at least with the version I'm using. I've never noticed any problem with that many, and I doubt you would, since never more than one drive is going to be active at once.

Now, why do I have a feeling this thread is about to disappear...

Originally posted by Malakovski:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by nevermind:

A quick question....how many devices is it safe to have.If you have like 10 of 'em,will it cause problems?Slow downs,etc....just curious

Four is the limit, at least with the version I'm using. I've never noticed any problem with that many, and I doubt you would, since never more than one drive is going to be active at once.

Now, why do I have a feeling this thread is about to disappear... </font>

I was thinking more along the lines during setup you either have the option to install it like you do now....or install it special like where you get/give a single number and before you can play the game, you have to register it with BTS. If that number exists already, then the FBI is immediately dispatched to the residence that installed it second. Furthermore, to allow you to reinstall it on your machine (with the nocd version), there should also be some unique identifier of that machine (like ISP address, or cpu verification ID, or something like that) sent along with the registration.

I'm not a computer geek, but I have to believe that something like that is doable in this day and age provided you're willing to agree to a little less privacy. I'm willing to do that in BTS' case.

Originally posted by Juardis:

I'm not a computer geek, but I have to believe that something like that is doable in this day and age provided you're willing to agree to a little less privacy. I'm willing to do that in BTS' case.

Sure it's doable, and BFC would probably be smart enough not to release corporate keys, but I doubt they would go through the time, trouble, and expense of implementing a system like that. Look how much trouble/hatred MS has gotten into with that half-assed, braindead, lets-piss-off-the-customers-then-defeat-the-whole-frickin-point-with-leaked-keys "activiation" scheme on XP...

As it is, BFC has put a very minimal copy protection system on the CD, so that those of us who hate swapping CDs can find ways of playing off the HD without very much trouble. They didn't have to do that, and I certainly appreciate it...

Malakovski. I'm an honest guy. I try to play by the rules. I therefore am ignorant when it comes to no-cd hacks, or copy protection schemes, or whatever. I buy the software, I install the software, I use the software. If BTS had wanted me to circumvent their very minimal copy protection scheme, they'd have supplied me with a way to do it. Since they have not, I can only surmise that I have to do something special to get around it. Going back to my original assertion of being ignorant, I personally don't know how to get around the copy protection and am quite frankly leary of any method that does so.

So while I acknowledge that there are plenty of people that can and do get around it, all I'm asking for is a BTS supported way to do so. And if they would make the fix OPTIONAL (keyword=OPTIONAL just in case anybody missed that the first time), then any ill feelings on the end-users part are do solely to that end-user. MS does NOT make the XP registration optional.

Just a word of caution when using Deamon Tools. Some games will not boot up if they detect any of Deamons virtual cd-roms. The game "Operation Flashpoint" won't work if you have Deamon Tools installed. Have no idea how many other games/companys incorporate this anti-piracy feature. Check problem 4 of this FAQ link for details. Just wanted to let you know. Carry on.

With regards to ruining the CD -- the Battlefront version of CMBB has a CD check, but I don't recall if it's there's any actual /copy/ protection involved. An 80 min. CD-R backup made without anything special (t'was either Linux's 'dd' {for creating an .iso image, to be written with 'cdrecord'}, or Ez CD-Writer or whatever the heck it's called -- the software that came with my PlexWriter) let me play just fine. That should rather drastically cut down on worries about scratches or other CD damage.

CDV versions may be different, as I've never owned any game distributed by them if memory serves.

CMAK will still have a CD check incorporated in the code to the best of my knowledge.

Such methods keep the casual pirate from going to the effort to 'crack' the game and we deem them worthwhile to include.

Discussions about copying or circumventing the protection is not permitted on this forum so I will be shutting this thread down now.

Madmatt

[ April 17, 2003, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]