Panther Panther

Hi,

Since playing von Lauchert I have become an absolute fan of the Panther and so far it hasn't disappointed me (well, except for getting KO'd in a recent PBEM by a M10 which hit the turret which is the 'weaker' spot, 100/curved). I now strongly believe that it is better than the Tiger, though requires more micromanagement as the sides aren't all that well armored. They can stand up easily to IS-2's and their accuracy is, well, quite deadly. The 75L70 is a beauty, only the 17 pdr is better that it in it's calibre.

I was wondering, after reading the PanzerIV thread if you guys have any good tips on using the Panther more effectively. Any tips or tricks will be well appreciated.

TIA!

I am not sure its modelled but for killing troops low velocity guns work better. I believe the shells do not burrow into the soil as much and that generally speaking they carry more HE.

Of coure the T34 comes tooled up with loads of cannister - lovely.

If you are referring to weak sides then give me cheap tanks with fast turrets in a town as range becomes unimportant[ish]

Originally posted by dieseltaylor:

I am not sure its modelled but for killing troops low velocity guns work better. I believe the shells do not burrow into the soil as much and that generally speaking they carry more HE.

Of coure the T34 comes tooled up with loads of cannister - lovely.

If you are referring to weak sides then give me cheap tanks with fast turrets in a town as range becomes unimportant[ish]

Really i didn't know that about the velocity thing. I guess you right though about the cheaper tanks in towns. IIRC the Panther series had a model with a mini mortar launcher. Do you think this has some impact?

Originally posted by Monwar:

Stikku, talking about ... cough... umm, get ready, here it comes : 'Nahverteidigungsaffe'?

The "close defence ape" would be great! I'dlike to know whether it is attached outside the turret or does it jump out of its box inside the turret, attacks any soldier and theh jumps back. How is it trained? Which weapons does it use? Is it able to run towards the 'zook wielding GI and kill him before he can fire?

Or do you mean the Nahverteidigungswaffe or Nahbereichswaffe (Nbw)? It has a rather limited range and won't harm Bazooka Joe 100m away... which is a pity if you use it in CM.

Apart from that the Panther is a nice toy. Just like the PzIV it should be frontally hull up vs. potent enemies.

Though not historically correct, it is a nice overwatch for Tigers doing (relative) close combat.... OTOH JPzIV or V are better suited for that if you are that gamey.

If I have to buy Tigers or Panthers only, I'd go for Tigers till 6/43 :D , indifferent till end of '43 and once tiger killer AFVs are affordable I'd go for Panthers when expecting armor. The bigger blast of the 88 is a reason to buy Tigers when expecting an infantry force.

Gruß

Joachim

[ March 09, 2004, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: Joachim ]

Lol...nahverteidigungsaffe. He might fit inside the bustle of a KT...

I can see it now...Bazooka Joe spends 10 minutes crawling through muck and filth to gain position on the dreaded big cat. Just as he raises up to take aim he hears "squeeeeek...clang" followed by furious grunting and sounds of knuckles dragging. Joes frantically looks around from side to side trying to discover the source of this unusual battlefield noise....*whap* *oof*....the last thing poor Joe sees is:

ape.jpg

STURM!!!!

[ March 09, 2004, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: Abteilung ]

Originally posted by Abteilung:

Lol...nahverteidigungsaffe. He might fit inside the bustle of a KT...

I can see it now...Bazooka Joe spends 10 minutes crawling through muck and filth to gain position on the dreaded big cat. Just as he raises up to take aim he hears "squeeeeek...clang" followed by furious grunting and sounds of knuckles dragging. Joes frantically looks around from side to side trying to discover the source of this unusual battlefield noise....*whap* *oof*....the last thing poor Joe sees is:

ape.jpg

STURM!!!!

That was awesome. I just got myself under control enough to answer. I needed the laugh and it was a good one. :D:D:D

Thanks.

Panther Commander