PBEM file sizes are way too large!

OK guys,

I made a test.

I created 2 different PBEM-games

QB, 2000pts, medium map, winter, both sides using ONLY ski-troops (no armor).

First video size : 14,3Mb (a new record!)

Then I created exactly the same scenario, but "ski" was changed to "infantry".

First video size : 139kb

So, the ski-troops are causing huge trouble.

And I thought that Battlefront just has modelled Uberfinns so correctly, that the machine calculates the LOS for every Finnsoldier's both eyes separately :D

Originally posted by Kaiser Soze 71:

And I thought that Battlefront just has modelled Uberfinns so correctly, that the machine calculates the LOS for every Finnsoldier's both eyes separately

You mean they haven't?!? That was the whole reason for CMBB!!! (Uberfinns' dual eyesight)

Not what I'm getting at, Redwolf. smile.gif I'm asking in case they are just adding a new file into an zip file without getting rid of the contents already in it. That would certainly make the zip file size grow tremendously!

[ December 01, 2002, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: Snarker ]

Originally posted by Snarker:

Not what I'm getting at, Redwolf. smile.gif I'm asking in case they are just adding a new file into an zip file without getting rid of the contents already in it. That would certainly make the zip file size grow tremendously!

Well, that is obviously bogus.

But a single PBEM file packed into a single zipfle will make the mail bigger while in transit (although the *.zip will be smaller than the *.txt on disk).

[ December 01, 2002, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: redwolf ]

Hmmmm, I wonder if it is b/c of the Ski Troops. The manual sez that they permanently lose the Skis if they attempt any movements *other than* move, move to contact, or run. Maybe there are way more LOS checks to see that if they come under fire, they go from one of the acceptable moves to maybe sneak, and hence they lose the skis? Pure speculation, I know. I'm sure we'll have to wait for Charles, no biggie.

Skis may be the culprits indeed ! :eek:

I remember that my first PBEM was a very small battle with ski troops - that CD scenario with Sovs assaulting a german "Fort" at night in fog, with LOS at 30 m :eek: ... First email files were very large for such a smallish battle, maybe 1 Mb, then went down quickly to normal as my troops "lost" their skis.

It may be that the game engine keeps track of ski movement in special ways :confused: .

We need BFC here ... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Kaiser Soze 71,

Interesting report. This is something we want to look into because it doesn't look right at all. Please send one of the fluffed up files directly to Charles so he can take a look at it.

charles@battlefront.com

We'll get to the bottom of this smile.gif

Steve

Charles now have it in his mailbox :D

What other company offers Battlefront-kind of service? I guess no one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...