MG vs HT

Thanks.

I'm in a situation where I have a maxim within 30 metres of a stationary ht - which I think may be shocked. Was debating whether to open up. I think I'll wait for a platoon of infantry to catch up and then maybe I'll get the ht when it turns towards them. Germant hts can only shoot in front of them, right?

By crickey I hope my opponent is not reading this!

Originally posted by Sivodsi:

At what range does a maxim become effective vs German HTs? Also, how about Mg42 vs Russian light armor?

If at all?

Always best to setup a hotseat test for yourself in the scenario editor to find the right ranges out.

Simple way to tell for this question though: If a HT (or Light tank, etc) is "buttoned", try to target them by using hotkey "n" (target next), if it lets you target the HT then you can be effective against it.

If you just plain target a HT with the MG, the line may "stick" but he still may not be effective. So, make sure you remove all the MG's targets first, and then do hotkey "n" to see if you can damage him.

Remember different MGs do different amounts of damage . . .the russian DsHK HMG is MUCH more effect against HTs and light armor than the Maxim, for example.

Hope this helps.

My experience on this one is that angle is the critical variable. German HTs are (medium) MG proof from the front - though you can still hit a CE crew member obviously. From the side they are not, but you need a very flat angle to the side to hurt them.

ATRs and 50 cals will do them from the front, though the side is still easier obviously. The ATR problem is usually low behind armor effect rather than inability to penetrate. But you generally have the ammo for it so that is usually just a matter of time of exposure. They can't live long in LOS of a live ATR.

As for MG 42s and 34s, I've seen them KO Russian lights up to ~10mm thick at typical combat angles and ranges, and the 8mm stuff goes down easily. But they won't get e.g. a BT series tank from the front, as opposed to an AC or tankette.