disembarking units

Is it possible to give a unit being transported on a vehicle a Disembark order before the vehicle moves? That is, eg, I want a truck to travel from A to B and the transported infantry to leap off when it gets there. I've tried it using a Pause order for the transported unit, but it doesn't accept pause.

You can give an embarked unit a movement order before its transport starts moving. Unless the riding unit can get faster to this disembarking point on foot, it'll stick on board its ride 'til the ride comes to a halt. So just be sure to set the disembarking point and the transport's final location close enough to each other.

I've had trouble with this when the embarked unit's delay is shorter than the vehicle's, which is what I read as "philwil"'s problem. Sometimes the unit will disembark before the vehicle starts moving, and then the transport drives off sans passengers... :mad: !!!!!!!!!

So, I check the delays of both units, and if the vehicle has the longer of the two delay times I cancel the embarked unit's order. Then, after the vehicle has started moving, I issue the disembarking order.

One of my favourite CM choreography is to have a platoon of halftrack-bound infantry rumble into a village, the halftracks then pull-up right beside the buildings, and the infantry leap out with orders to assault the building. Even more fun if the place is covered in smoke and lightly defended :D

As a rule, I don't give a disembark order to a passenger whose vehicle has not yet started moving. Like Brent, I've had a couple of situations where units have decided to walk instead of ride.

I almost always, however, give units disembark orders before their transport has arrived. Once the transport is moving, the passengers will stay on board until it stops (assuming no unpleasant enemy intervention). It's very useful to do it this way, as your passengers should always start deploying as soon as their transport grinds to a halt.

Originally posted by Vossiewulf:

As a rule, I don't give a disembark order to a passenger whose vehicle has not yet started moving. Like Brent, I've had a couple of situations where units have decided to walk instead of ride.

I almost always, however, give units disembark orders before their transport has arrived. Once the transport is moving, the passengers will stay on board until it stops (assuming no unpleasant enemy intervention). It's very useful to do it this way, as your passengers should always start deploying as soon as their transport grinds to a halt.

There is a difference how far the disembark movement point is from the vehicle and embarked unit. I'll try to explain that.

Let's assume there is a truck standing with infantry in it. You give the truck Fast move order to some location, say 100m away. But, you want to disembark the infantry unit right here right now.

Then, the only thing you have to do is to place the disembark movement point closer than 25 meters from the truck. The infantry unit will disembark on the very first second of the turn, wait on the ground for the movement delay, and then proceed to the set disembarkation point.

Also note that movement path for the infantry unit can be longer (multipoint), the only thing you have to keep in mind is that the first point must be inside 25 meters.

If the disembark movement order is further than 25 meters, and the vehicle has movement orders, the infantry unit will ride with the vehicle until it stops, and then follow their own orders.

There's also nice trick to get the units off the vehicles while they're in the middle of movement path. Just order one pause for the vehicle, and order the infantry to disembark (again, closer than 25 meters). At the start of the turn, the vehicle will stop for 10 seconds, infantry disembarks and vehicle proceeds further.

Originally posted by Brent Pollock:

I've had trouble with this when the embarked unit's delay is shorter than the vehicle's, which is what I read as "philwil"'s problem. Sometimes the unit will disembark before the vehicle starts moving, and then the transport drives off sans passengers... :mad: !!!!!!!!!

I just checked this in the scenario editor, and that's not quite true.

I set up an test scenario with Conscript truck (movement delay - 45 seconds) and Elite Light machinegun (delay - 7 seconds).

If you stick to that 25 meter rule, you don't have to worry about movement delay difference. The MG is in the truck, i give them both Fast move orders to the location some 200 meters away, and the MG stays inside the truck.

Disembarkation grog.

There is a magic distance of IIRC 15 meters which will make units disembark no matter what. If you plot carefully you can disembark without having the vehicle stop, a sharp enough turn so that is slows down enough, and then an infantry waypoint within 15 meters of the slowdown point.

There was one dude on the T&T forum who figured all this stuff out, several pages of tricks.

Originally posted by Brent Pollock:

Jeez - if I wanted to keep consulting charts whenever I played, I'd still be doing ASL/MBT/IDF ;)

Charts smiley_laughing_tanknet__icon_rofl.gif

Dude, this is CM. What you get from that research is a bunch of "probably", "if you are lucky the halftrack doesn't drive off without the passengers", and "just tight enough turn, but not too much" smile.gif