Small Query re Pz lllF

Just a little puzzled why in 1943 and 1944 the PZ lllF still seems available to me for choice in QBs when all the other early marks of the lll have disappeared. It is also the grey version which is available which is again not in keeping with the other camo developments.

Have I missed some patch modification or is there some explanation of which I am unaware.

Would appreciate a clarification on this .

I'm not really sure I understand the question. These variants were the strongest ones and were considered the only ones worth keeping. Also, some were not built from scratch, but were conversions of older Panzer IIIs, so for each one you lose one of the older models.

The camouflage issue is just that BFC didn't bother to load seperate textures for these rarely used vehicles in these months. But you can load a camo modification just fine, if you can live with the fact that it wouldn't be turned back to grey in earlier months automatically.

The F model is the stubby 75mm? Yeh, the German crews positively loved that tank. Used it in the Bulge, used it during fighting in Germany. I guess it was the most reliable tank they had, was fast, had surprisingly good front armor for its size, and the 75mm HC (HEAT) round went a long way towards evening the odds against their bigger opponents. It'll certainly do more damage in-game to an IS-2 than the long 50mm tank gun would!

Just checked. This seems to be an issue only during QB selection. The editor uses the correct time frame for the Pz IIIf (06/41 - 12/42).

BTW, if needed, you can easily create a yellow Pz IIIf by copying the yellow graphic files of a similar Pz III to the unused "yellow" location of the Pz IIIf (108600 - 108619).

Marcus

Many thanks for all your useful comments.

I like the idea of copying a yellow Pzlll bmps to bmps 108600--108619--------------could someone please give me the bmp number set of a similar Pzlll with yellow camo which I could rename to 108600--108619.

Many thanks

It has just occurred to me that no other Pzlll (yellow) would have an identical 37mm gun so would the copy not be inappropriate??

[ June 10, 2003, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: pcelt ]

Originally posted by MikeyD:

German crews positively loved that tank. Used it in the Bulge, used it during fighting in Germany. I guess it was the most reliable tank they had, was fast, had surprisingly good front armor for its size, and the 75mm HC (HEAT) round went a long way towards evening the odds against their bigger opponents. It'll certainly do more damage in-game to an IS-2 than the long 50mm tank gun would!

What?

Production ended in August 1943 with 663 produced and 37 rebuilt from damaged PIIIs. They were only assigned to Panzer Grenadier Divs and sPzAbt/sSSPzAbt. Their use in Tiger battalions was sharply curtailed because of thin armour, the ausf N only having the 5cm front armour basis similar to early ausf J. The StuG and PIV did everything the PIII 75 could for PzGr divisions with thicker armour and more powerful and accurate guns.

There are only two PIIIs in use with the units at the "bulge," are command versions one for 15 PzGr Div and one for 3 PzGr Div. There are no PIII 75s in use with the Pz units in late 1944. Also none of the Pz equipped units have PIIIs on strength for the defence of Berlin, March 1945 onwards. (1996 Jentz)