SPs -enemy of the Volksturm

Originally posted by TANK ACE:

A good idea when facing off agaisnt volksturm only forces is to get SPs and blast away at there positions from a safe distance, once the infantry have clear the road ahead of u move up little by little until objective is taken.

Now guess why they invented the reverse slope tactics :D

Alas, AI can't handle that and generated maps offer too little opportunities to set up reverse slope.

Gruß

Joachim

Seems to me that if you are trying to defeat a Volkssturm-only force with sp guns and tanks, you are going to run out of HE shells long before they run out of squads with panzerfausts and panzerschrecks.

Like i said in my post if you read it, ur SPs blast away and infantry mop up the remains then SPs move up.

"Like i said in my post if you read it, ur SPs blast away and infantry mop up the remains then SPs move up."

You have been playing the AI again.

Please try to remember that playing human opponents, particularly those who have been round the block a few times, is a different ball game.

May I therefore respectfully suggest that the tactics you propound at the beginning of this thread may not be wholly successful in all circumstances.

Indeed the actual combat results attained when using the force-mix and tactics you put forward may, very probably, when playing a human opponent, be such as to lead an independent observer to conclude that your propounded theories place upon the semantic and logical facilities of the English language a greater burden than they can reasonably be expected to bear.

Cheers

Originally posted by Kingfish:

You should rename this thread 'SPs (in open terrain, on clear day and against the A.I.)-enemy of the Volksturm'

I've tried using Volksturm in CMBB as few times vs both the AI and human opponents. A better title would be:

"Anything with two legs and higher brain functions: Enemy of the Volksturm"

Like was stated in the "US Defense 1000 pt game" thread, if you know your opponent's forces before you buy yours, it's easy to come up with a force mix tailored to defeat them. (especially against the AI)

IMHO, this is unrealistic, gamey and just plain not fun. :rolleyes:

I like the way the QB generator was redone in CMBB to allow everything to be random. That's the only way I play QBs any more.

Like i said in my post if you read it, ur SPs blast away and infantry mop up the remains then SPs move up.
I read it, and, recognizing your enthusiasm for the game based on your recent posts, thought I was quite restrained in my response.

The only way your technique would work against a human player would be on a flat map, with no terrain features, no fog, and the allied player buying a horde of M8 GMCs (aka the "M8 Horde") hoping he could rout the Volkssturm off of the map.

Any competent human player could make this game interesting with little difficulty if there was a way to shield the troops from direct sp gun fire, which most maps have either through woods, hills, cities, or all of the above. He is not going to let his troops stand still in the open and get pounded until the other infantry shows up to wipe them out. He is going to maneuver his units out of LOS of the SPGs and make the SPGs work to get good targets. The process of trying to line up good targets is going to get some of the SPG's killed. Volkssturm have tons of schrecks and open top M8's can die from just a hand grenade.... A battalion of volkssturm is a lot of squads to keep track of and destroy.

Not too long ago, someone (Kitty, perhaps?) was entertaining the board by decimating armored assaults with nothing but Volkssturm and some barbed wire and/or roadblocks, I think. She was writing some interesting AAR's and it showed some new tactics.

Set up a qb, and pick the volkssturm force with some roadblocks and an spg heavy force for the allies. Then you play as the Axis. Bet you give the AI a pretty good run for its money with just those volkssturm, even if you don't force it to surrender outright smile.gif

No one's arguing that you can beat up on Volksturm AI. Like Crap Game said, set up a QB and you play as the Volks. Better still, play against another human. Two things should then be obvious:

1) Playing against the AI is not the most challenging thing in the world, especially with lopsided forces.

2) The underdog can win regularly when appropriate tactics are employed.

BTW, I don't care what the terrain is. (unless it's not a billiard table with no trees) ;)

Yes, on an open map the Volks will take heavier losses, but that's not to say it's impossible for them to win.

Volksturm vs. an armour heavy force in low visibility conditions (fog, night, etc) are very dangerous opponents - the fact that they get a panzershreck per squad and a goodly number of automatics for a German unit means that they're a really unpleasant prospect for Soviet armour and most infantry.

Defending, at night, overcast would be the ideal situation for Volksturm, regardless of quality. The soviet player would have to have an most (if not all) infantry force armed with SMGs, thus rendering the 'shrecks pretty useless.