How will CMBB run on P2 266?

I have an old laptop that would be nice to use for some TCPIP action, but I'm not sure if I should go through the hassle of changing OS (necessary), as I am afraid it's too slow. It has a 2 mb Neomagic gfx-card, shared with 192 system memory.

Would it run ok, or shouldn't I bother?

Your 2Mb Neographics video chipset won't work with either CMBB or CMBO for that matter. The drivers have problems supporting Direct3D and the extremely small amount of video memory wouldn't allow either version of CM to run properly.

What are you saying about 'shared memory' ? As far as I was aware the Neographics chipsets had their own DRAM/VRAM display memory - which is the 2Mb you mentioned. Shared memory schemes are usually used by graphics cores that are integrated into the northbridge of the motherboard chipset. Unfortunately these schemes tend to have bad game performance and even if they allow for up to 64Mb of shared video memory it's no guarantee that they'll support CM properly (even the minimal requirements).

If it wasn't for your video chipset, then I would say that it would be possible to run CMBB on a P2-266 w/ 192Mb of RAM. However it would be very slow, painfully slow. You could still play it, but I don't think you would really want to...

Hey Blackout,

I'm going to confuse matters a bit. I'm on a P2 300 MHz / 128 Meg RAM with a nVidia TNT2 card and...the game runs great...not just small scenarios with detail turned down. I play huge battles fine and the detail is usually pumped almost to the max. No problems whatsoever.

233 is a bit slower than 300 and I don't know much about the video card on your laptop, but you might just find that's its tolerable.

The video card makes a huge difference. The less capable the video card, the more work that the CPU has to perform when issuing orders and moving around the map. This can make the game dreadful to play on low-end machines. If you have a decent video card a number of things should be acceptable, other than turn calculation.

His biggest issue is the video - which can't be upgraded and has very dated drivers (Neomagic stopped making video chipsets years ago). On a desktop it can be a different story with a slow CPU, but for many people it may be still be too slow. Heck, some people complain how slow it is on the 1GHz+ machines...