Lazy PBEM Opponents and the Patch

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

So how many of you had multiple PBEM games going on when the patch came out, and had opponents who never sent you turns unless you were the one who converted the file?

Any thoughts on that?

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you say earlier that you were PBEM'ing the game vs. yourself, so wouldn't that make you the lazy one? I'm starting to get the sense of some underlying schizophrenia here.

tongue.gif

Originally posted by Sunflower Farm Boy:

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you say earlier that you were PBEM'ing the game vs. yourself, so wouldn't that make you the lazy one? I'm starting to get the sense of some underlying schizophrenia here.

You're completely wrong - what on earth are you talking about?

Soddball - did we have a game going? Good luck with the new business in either case!

Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

Ah HA! Flushed him out. :D

Monty's witty like a toothache today too! I wasn't speaking specifically about anyone (I think all my games have been converted actually), just wondering if others noted this phenomenon. Everyone was in such a hurry to download the patch, then they got stuck with PBEMs in progress...wondering if this will be an issue for 1.02, people needing to be a bit patient before applying the patch, run two versions, that sorta thing...

I think if some-one is too lazy/ignorant to do the horribly long and painful task of erasing CMBB, re-installing the unpatched original, processing the gay-fecking turn they they were winning/losing anyway, because GOD FORBID a game should go unfinished, and finally re-install the big patch to continue merrily along, then they should be sent to one of them Asian Island countries where they'll publicly whip you for farting in a restaurant.

Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

I think if some-one is too lazy/ignorant to do the horribly long and painful task of erasing CMBB, re-installing the unpatched original, processing the gay-fecking turn they they were winning/losing anyway, because GOD FORBID a game should go unfinished, and finally re-install the big patch to continue merrily along, then they should be sent to one of them Asian Island countries where they'll publicly whip you for farting in a restaurant.

See what I mean?

At the risk of being called a lazy non-turn converting bastard, I would like to declare that most of my PBEM turns were in the hands of my opponents, and I had the movie turns at the time that I attempted to convert. Those turns that I did have, I saved in a special folder that I named "Ignore", so that I could resend them back to my lazy ass opponents who did not take the time to preserve or convert the original version files.

.......and thats the truth-->insert raspberry sound here<

[ December 09, 2002, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: Nidan1 ]

Why would you need to erase patched CMBB to install unpatched CMBB? Just install it to a different folder - it gives you that option up front. I run both versions currently.

:confused:

Originally posted by Sgt_Kelly:

"Lazy PBEM Opponents..."

Says the man who weazeled out of all campaign duties in a campaign so he could keep playing his precious umpty five simultaneous PBEMs :D .

To his credit I have to say that campaign is now all but dead. So once again, the Grog of Grogs was proved right.

Which campaign was this? The Onion one? A bit frustrating to have it start, stop, and then start over again...

I've gotten involved in at least four different campaigns so far and have yet to play a single battle - aside from one minor skirmish in Onion Wars I. One of them never materialized (the D-Day one), one never made it past the rules mapping phase (I remember Fionn and Warren discussing the rules but there were other principal players involved, dimly remembered), the abortive Onion thing, and now the Tiger vs. Bears thing which is apparently in the planning phases - perhaps after XMAS it will actually be a go?

I run a trim ship, Dorosh.

That being said, what I woould've done (had I needed to) was get a copy of the 1.0 exe,but thankfully, all my 1.0 games are gone, so no worries (until 1.02...)

You lying sod, admit it. You patched it and deleted the other file before your brain caught up with the implications.

I'd say that, just in terms of the luck of who had a plotting turn and who had a movie turn, I probably only had to convert about 1/3 of my games personally. I'd say the day or so after the patch came out, the very next turns I received from most of my opponents came as the new version, and those who'd had to send movie turns pointed out that they'd upgraded and were ready to receive converted files.

Of course, almost all my opponents come from the Peng Challenge Thread, and the people in there are extremely dedicated to Combat Mission, so the patch goes in before the game goes on, as it were.

Also, although they are a rude, vulgar, and boorish group of lackwits, they are quite a gentlemanly (or ladylike...or occasionally both) group of opponents.

You are looking for games in all the wrong places, Grog Dorosh. I told you you should have stayed with our lot.

[ December 09, 2002, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: Seanachai ]

• 3 weeks later...

Dorosh,

You may want to check out the CMMC ( the 1st one actually finished and seems to have proven fascinating from what I've read). Thus proving it has pedigree and a definite potential to finish... URL is http://www.cmmc2.org . Go there and read some of the files they have for d/l etc. Willing to discuss them with u if u wish.

As to the one Warren and I organised. Well, that one was entirely my fault. I had some email problems and then my final year course work just overwhelmed me so I ended up dropping out of that. Unfortunately real life interferes with the best laid plans of mice and men.

[ December 30, 2002, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: Fionn ]

Originally posted by Fionn:

Dorosh,

You may want to check out the CMMC ( the 1st one actually finished and seems to have proven fascinating from what I've read). Thus proving it has pedigree and a definite potential to finish... URL is http://www.cmmc2.org . Go there and read some of the files they have for d/l etc. Willing to discuss them with u if u wish.

As to the one Warren and I organised. Well, that one was entirely my fault. I had some email problems and then my final year course work just overwhelmed me so I ended up dropping out of that. Unfortunately real life interferes with the best laid plans of mice and men.

I'm pretty sure I exchanged some emails with the CMMC dudes (is GD one of the German units in the CMBB CMMC? If so, then I am pretty sure I did). Thanks for the tip - got a URL for me?

I can understand where real life takes priority, but I'm batting 0 for 4 as far as campaigns go - not a good average! Tigers vs. Bears seems like it may actually kick off soon, judging from the volume of deployment emails I've been getting.

Originally posted by Fionn:

As far as GD goes... I believe you are thinking about the Tigers vs Bears game and not the CMMC. Check out the link above and I'm sure it'll all get cleared up.[/QB]

Actually there is a KG from GD in the Belyi sector that will be modeled.

Thanks,

Kevin