Training Scenarios

I've decided to dust off an old idea on the forums.

That is creating training or scrimmage scenarios. The idea is that they would be smaller scenarios depicting the smaller 'sub-engagements' within larger battles that allow the player to brush up on one or more aspects of their game.

I've put together two smallish and straightforward '41 axis attack scenarios both facing off a company of motorized infantry with limited support against a smallish dug in defense. They 'should' improve your infantry skills on the attack when armor and large bore artillery are unavailable.

The road attack scenario focuses on how to cross exposed ground with infantry and how to force defenders out of foxholes with only infantry support weapons. Time is fairly short, but there is enough to allow proper scouting and to position support weapons.

Town attack has an identical force clearing a village of resistance and showcases combined use of infantry and support weapons in a limited visibility environment. It may also be useful as a model for some of the urban combat discussions that have been going on lately.

I'd be happy to send the betas out to testers. No briefings yet written though, play as Axis w/ scenario default posisions and EFOW. Let me know if you're interested.

I'd actually prefer non-experts. Inexperience is a plus for these!

As far as an AAR, I'd love to know whether you thought the battle was challenging, and whether it gave you interesting practice and learnings that you could apply elsewhere (PBEMs mostly). A brief description of what you tried and how it worked would be nice as well.

Romulus,

No offense, but I'm not sending anymore out until I get some reports back. I've sent out 7 copies and gotten one AAR (Thanks Mark). I'd like to get some more feedback on the concept and the particulars before I send out another set.

• 2 weeks later...

I have finished the road attack scenario, and it is an excellent learning tool.

Good point 1 - teaches proper use of movement techniques, and what happens if you don't use them.

Good point 2 - teaches use of covering fire, both MG and Mortar, and what happens if you don't suppress enemy weapon systems overwatching your approach routes.

Good point 3 - small scenario allows quick reloading and quick finishing for rapid replay. You have to lose several times to learn the above lessons, and in a small scenario, it doesn't take long.

Suggestions -

Different variations of the scenario with different troop types, and different supporting weapons.

That is really all. For what it was designed to do, the scenario is excellent. I will post another review when I finish the town attack scenario.

Thanks cavscout, and the others who reviewed offline. So far, the reports are that the scenarios have been tough, but have created learning and have been pretty replayable.

I'm happy to finish these / do some more to illustrate different situations, but am not sure where to put them. I fear that they may be overlooked at the depot as they are not the usual fare.

p.s. here you go romulus and rlh1138.