Panzer IV mod C to F accuracy

The 75mm/L24 must be a terrible gun...

...or why does my CMBB show for any Panzer IV from C to F model such a terrible accuracy despite having a good gunsight?

Even the T-34 has about double hit chances percentage on longer range...

First I thought, it might be that the gunsight bonuses are not shown correctly, but...

...I did 8 test runs from 1000 to 2000 meters - it was devastating. If the Panzer IV did not retreat, they were chewed up by the T-34/M40. Yes, M40, not even a "decent" T-34 model...

The russian ground was full of craters from missing german shells, about twice as much than on the german site (so it was not the ROF)...

Can anyone exlpain this to me?

GAGA Extrem,

When the Panzer IV was designed, it was intended as a support tank, firing HE and smoke, for 37mm L/50 armed Panzer IIIs. The latter were progressively uparmed to the short 50 (L/42), but were, per Hitler's orders after the Battle of France, to have all been upgunned to the long 50 (L/60). Most weren't, though, and the Germans suffered as a result when the T-34 and KV were encountered during Barbarossa.

Fortunately for the Germans, the Panzer IV, with its much larger diameter turret ring, was able to accomodate an L/43 75mm and later, an L/48 75mm, as well as some upgrading of armor protection in limited areas.

The early StuGs had the same stubby (L/24) 75 as the Panzer IVs you're lamenting about. StuGs, though, belonged to the Artillery branch, not the Panzers. Later, they, too, had the the 75mm L/43 and L/48 fitted, in addition to the rarer 105mm howitzer with muzzle brake.

Regards,

John Kettler

[ June 21, 2007, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

Yes the Germans had hte same philosophy as the Brits at hte time really - a small-calibre high-velicity AT gun for the "standard" gun tank (Pz 3 & "Cruisers), supporrted by smaller numbers of 75mm/3" armed tanks for HE and smoke chucking.

the Brits added the "heavily armoured "Infantry" tank to eth mix, but it was the same - a small calibre AT gun supported by a few 3" gunned HE/smoke chuckers.

the Germans gave their smaller guns HE, but still relied mainly on MG's for anti-infantry work - hence 2 coaxial MG's in eth early Pz-3's for improved effect.

At any rate that stubby little gun kicks the crap out of every tank you come across (yes including KV Tanks ... just need to blast them with enough HE to force the crew to bail).

:D

the Brits added the "heavily armoured "Infantry" tank to eth mix, but it was the same - a small calibre AT gun supported by a few 3" gunned HE/smoke chuckers.
Thats one i still havnt got my head around, for there intended use why didnt they give them all some form of howizter?