Force selection tips

Hi guys,

I have been searching the forums for some advice. I have not really found anything so here it goes (apologies if I have missed a good thread) :

I am a fairly inexeperienced CMBB player and I have a mirror challenge where I have to select my own forces. I suck big time at selecting because normally I play random forces games.

Can you guys give some advice on which units to pick for each side? or point me to a thread that does? thanks in advance.

Game is as follows :

Mars 1945

Meeting engagement

2000 points

Map size: medium

Tree cover: moderate

Map type: Village

Hilliness : modest hills

German force: unrestricted

Russian force: unrestricted

Quality: unrestricted

Ammunition: 100%

Cheers,

Traveller

[ April 16, 2005, 01:09 AM: Message edited by: Traveller ]

If the force selection is unrestricted, you're in a bit of a trouble, as your opponent might have just about anything... from a balanced force to infantry only to armour only to lotsa artillery.

Try to get at least a couple of weapons that can kill even the heaviest tanks that your enemy might have, then some HE lobbing mediums, some normal infantry grunts and an artillery spotter or two. Experiment & learn.

Originally posted by Sergei:

Try to get at least a couple of weapons that can kill even the heaviest tanks that your enemy might have, then some HE lobbing mediums, some normal infantry grunts and an artillery spotter or two. Experiment & learn.

Thanks for the answer. Let's be a bit more specific... what are, in your opinion, those weapons than can kill even the heavisest tanks?

What are "lobbing mediums"?

Cheers,

Traveller

If you're playing Russians, get the SU-100. Its ROF, penetration and cost make it the best Russian tank killer.

I'd go for T34-85's as the advance force with SU-100 as overwatch.

It's similar for the Axis. You can get the PzIV which will go through most everything or a Panther which will kill everything - so have PzIVs in front of Panthers.

You don't specify rariety but from the other settings I'll assume it is off. You also don't list time of day or weather - I'll assume it is day and clear. This is meant to be a sort of no hold barred, take any kind of equipment fight, right? You also don't say the parent units - I'll assume mech.

As the Russians, you have to be ready for any monster German armor, so I recommend something like -

IL-2 Type 3 Sturmovik (air support)

4 SU-100

4 ISU-152

Veteran SMG company

4th Veteran SMG platoon

Veteran Pioneer company

Veteran Sharpshooter

SG 43 MMG

2 50mm Mortar

120mm radio FO

Those are minimal support weapons. Half the force is armor.

The SU-100s are your anti-tank armor. Use them to kill German tanks. The only item you have to worry about from the front is the King Tiger. Those you want side shots at, from any angle but side not front visible. Weak stuff won't kill you from the front, but the most powerful German guns are dangerous.

The ISU-152s are your infantry killing armor, but aren't bad at tank killing. Just slow rate of fire, like 2 shots a minute. When they have to fight tanks they need to use "shoot and scoot" to get back into cover while reloading. The ammo is limited but the HE will still last several minutes and each shot can nearly destroy a squad.

The SMGs are your close in and anti-infantry infantry. They lead. They should have covered arcs set to 80m range to save their ammo until point blank.

The pioneers you want the demo charges for anti tank ability. They also have high ammo for ranged fire into the open. Use them in groups of HQ, 2 squads to have a few in lots of places (using their company HQ as one). The squads should be about 50m apart, the HQ between them. This covers an area 100m wide with demo charge throwing range for infantry anti-tank work.

The remaining teams go with the SMG company HQ as a minimal infantry "overwatch" group. The MMG is to cover the open ahead of them (the company HQ and sniper can help with that). The little mortars are to suppress guns. The FO is to hit a platoon of infantry at a time in woods. All are medium or fast speed, and can keep up with the rest using "move".

Incidentally, in other game conditions you can do better than the above by adding a mix of towed guns, reducing the infantry slightly. A jeep or two to help reposition the guns. But the terrain you will be in cuts up the field into a lot of little cells, blocked by hills and woods. It is hard to use towed guns properly in a meeting engagement in such terrain, so I gave you extra infantry depth instead.

As for the Germans, they could take a platoon of King Tigers or two platoons of things like Jadgpanzer-70s, a company of panzergrenadiers maybe with a fourth platoon if the armor isn't too expensive etc.

It is the standard Sturmovik model, with 23mm cannons, bombs and rockets. It typically makes one bombing pass, sometimes a rocket pass as well, and then up to 6 strafing passes. The bombs can shock an unbuttoned tank and occasionally immobilize with a near miss, but usually just mess up nearby infantry - sometimes quite a bit. It is the strafing passes that can hurt armor seriously. The 23mm are high ROF and accurate. A tank will be attacked twice in a single pass. Each attack can penetrate with a top hit, or immobilize with a track hit.

The only plane worth getting is the 75mm equipped Henchel. I would recommend you to NOT play with unrestricted force type, unless you have some sort of gentleman rules, because they usually end up as heavy tanks vs heavy tanks. But if you like that kinda stuff, then I guess it's ok.