What is "Gamey" and why are there so many crybabies

Just to reinforce eh topic - IIRC using flame throwers to set up fire barriers is considered gamey too - although again it doesn't happen as much in CMBB both because terrain doesn't catch fire so easily, and because fires can start as or die down to be small rather than a whole terrain tile.

They're all employed - they're just all cute too!

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

The point is ladies and gentlemen that gamey, for lack of a better word, is good. Gamey is right. Gamey works. Gamey clarifies, cuts through and captures the essence of the CMBB spirit. Gaminess, in all of it's forms - gamey flag rushes, edge hugging, knowledge of ground conditions

Heh, to be honest with you, the above is actually true if you are a quake player (rocketjumping, strafe jumping for speed, wall hugging for speed, all which were bugs but which everyone wanted left in). But it's not true in this game =) Thank god you can't strafe your Tigers for speed.

Originally posted by Moriarty:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Egbert:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Is taking a screenshot of the Peng Thread considered gamey?

If you must ask that question, you have no business mentioning the ever lovin' Peng thread.</font>

MikeyD wrote:

In the real world an advancing platoon can't hug the edge of the map to protect their flank

As a good mate of mine (who didn't think that was gamey either) told me people can perceive this as being gamey. I can get into that but, on the other hand, if there is good cover to the sides it makes no sence to rush through the open middle of the map right?

What I'm trying to say is, is that not everything is gamey and then again not all game engine possibilities should be exploited. Just agree with an opponent before starting a game..... or somefink ;)

Mies

Mike writes:

Edge of the world isn't gamey IMO - all games have that feature.

Well, if all games have it, wouldn't that be gamey by definition?

As for soft vehicles scouting, I suspect a lot of Jeeps on the western front were used for that very purpose. I can imagine a commander saying "Get some men to X coordinate on the map (4 miles away) and report back what they find." Would your first reaction be to decide to walk the 8 miles round-trip?

[ January 17, 2003, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Originally posted by hardcampa:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MrSpkr:

The point is ladies and gentlemen that gamey, for lack of a better word, is good. Gamey is right. Gamey works. Gamey clarifies, cuts through and captures the essence of the CMBB spirit. Gaminess, in all of it's forms - gamey flag rushes, edge hugging, knowledge of ground conditions

Heh, to be honest with you, the above is actually true if you are a quake player (rocketjumping, strafe jumping for speed, wall hugging for speed, all which were bugs but which everyone wanted left in). But it's not true in this game =) Thank god you can't strafe your Tigers for speed.</font>