Use of assault order

Originally posted by Thin Red Line:

But do you drag the line on top of the defender's position or stop in front of them ?

What I do is move my squads in stages so that they are in a position to make a 30-40 metre dash. I then split that into an advance order for the first half and then an assault order for the second. I always try to have as much of the move along a covered route as is possible. If it's across open ground I have just gone for a direct assault for the whole distance, making sure there is plenty of support for the attacking squad and keeping the assault distance to a minimum to prevent the squad getting too tired and annoyed with me.

I don't put the end of the assault move right on the enemy. If he is in a building then I go to another corner of the building. Or if he is in a treeline, then I just move to an adjacent part of that tree coverage. But always within 10-15 metres of the enemy.

I have found that unless your enemy is weakened an assault led by one squad on another squad in any coverage will lead to high casaualties. The defender must be thoroughly supressed, lead the assault with two squads and have re-inforcements ready to follow up the attack.

Thats the way I've been doing it, I'm sure there are loads more ways being attempted out there.

Coldmeter,

God tips, thanks for sharing your experience.

In this thread , Jason C himself mentions he rarely uses Assault...

Japper,

I didn't have the Hedgehog in mind, there, you're right, no need to hurry, better to wait till the flame panzer toast all the defenders... Actually I was thinking about an assault on the remains of this recon platoon in the 2 halftracks near Paislinis... but wait, they are already all dead ? ! ... too bad ;)tongue.gif:D

I haven't used assault much either--I have pretty much used "advance" in little bursts from cover to cover, including the final few meters, as my universal attack command. This isn't a carefully made decision however. It's just that "advance" becomes a habit and the command-A button on my Mac (alt-A for Windows?) seems like the natural one to hit for an advance/assault attack order. Hitting a "U" would take a conscious choice. My results for the final burst into the enemy position--well suppressed whenever possible-- haven't been too bad, so I just keep using advance.

Anyway, my question to others is: should I really be using assault for those last few meters? Does it produce significantly better results? Has anyone done any tests?

[ April 29, 2003, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: CombinedArms ]

I haven't tested, but I have tried to experiment with the new orders as much as possible. I find assault to be only slightly better in terms of morale and cohesion than advance, but significantly more tiring.

If it really is the last 30m, I'll use assault, any more than that and my men fall over before reaching the objective.