how the HELL do you use assault boats?

I'm trying to make a scenario with assault boats. In testing the damned the thing I can't figure out how to load infantry onto the damned things. I tried putting infantry in them so that i start with infantry in the boats during the setup phase but the game won't let me do it. I tried leaving infantry on the shore and have them load onto the boats on turn one. Game won't let me. WTF is going on? Any help would be much appreciated.

Originally posted by Juardis:

I'm trying to make a scenario with assault boats. In testing the damned the thing I can't figure out how to load infantry onto the damned things. I tried putting infantry in them so that i start with infantry in the boats during the setup phase but the game won't let me do it. I tried leaving infantry on the shore and have them load onto the boats on turn one. Game won't let me. WTF is going on? Any help would be much appreciated.

Not sure if i really understand your question or not. Whenever I have played using boats , you load them during the setup phase using the "place" command. You cannot give any orders to assault boats during a game if they are empty.

I just ran a small test in 1.03 and had no problem loading a 10-man squad into each boat. Both in the editor and during setup you can load the boats whether they are on land or in the water. Once the game is started the boats must be listed on land for a unit to board.

Edit: Just ran the same test with a 12-man squad. No problems encountered.

[ June 26, 2003, 07:27 AM: Message edited by: Kingfish ]

Juardis, a couple of possibilities:

1. Like Kingfish said, once the game begins, empty boats have to be on land to be boarded (your infantry can't cross any water pixels to the boats if they're offshore).

2a. Are the boats inside your setup zone? If not, that would explain why you can't embark in the setup phase.

2b. An alternate reading of your comment could be that you're trying to place units inside boats in the editor and it won't let you... I don't have an answer for that one.

Originally posted by ColumbusOHGamer:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Juardis:

I'm trying to make a scenario with assault boats....Game won't let me. WTF is going on? Any help would be much appreciated.

Just another guess, but are you trying to do this with Axis forces? I believe only Allied forces can use boats...right? </font>

I'm at work right now, so I can't try it again. But I opened a scenario, editted units, bought boats and infantry. Tried to place infantry in the boat, boat already in the water. Editor would not let that happen.

Maybe I need to try it during the setup phase?