The tasks of a T-34 crew

Not at all. Advanced meant that it was better than what the panzers were using.

People could say 'Whats so great about the StuGs 75mm L48? The Hetzer and Jagdpanzer IV had them too?'.

The obvious answer is the StuG had them first.

Since Sturmartillerie StuGs operated differently than Panzers, they needed a radio system and control that reflected that. Early war german tanks had recieve only sets at one point. The StuGs always had recieve/send capabilitys. They operated in smaller platoons and companies and had more HQ vehicles per vehicle ratio than panzers.

Perhaps the biggest advantage is the frequency of the radios they used. It reflected the nature of the mission. This allowed them to operate with the artillery and infantry and tie in to a battle group better than panzers on thier own frequency.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Mr. Tittles:

Perhaps the biggest advantage is the frequency of the radios they used. It reflected the nature of the mission. This allowed them to operate with the artillery and infantry and tie in to a battle group better than panzers on thier own frequency.

Errr that's the only actual difference and it has more to do with doctrine than a "better" radio. PzGr were to support Panzers. StuGs were to support Infantry.

Of course being the only difference (and one of doctrine) you’d try to paint it as an advantage.

Again the Field manuals state two FuG5 receivers and one transmitter for the "normal" Panzer.

[ December 27, 2003, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: Bastables ]

Again the Stug had more platoon/company command radios per unit than panzers (using 3 vehicle platoons and 10 vehicle companys). Again they used multiple radios before the panzers (who used recieve only radios initially). Again, I have provided a website that says the typical panzer had one transmitter/one reciever. Later war panzers may have copied the StuG typical arrangement.

I have email from someone that said StuG battalion command vehicles had TWO recievers AND two transmitters.

Not at all. Advanced meant that it was better than what the panzers were using.

Then Perhaps Advanced was not the best word to use.

My dictionary states 1. Far on in development or progress 2. Far on in life 3. Ahead of contemporary thought or practise.

The word tends to mix "better" as a result of progress or modernity.

Again the Stug had more platoon/company command radios per unit than panzers (using 3 vehicle platoons and 10 vehicle companys). Again they used multiple radios before the panzers (who used recieve only radios initially). Again, I have provided a website that says the typical panzer had one transmitter/one reciever. Later war panzers may have copied the StuG typical arrangement.

I have email from someone that said StuG battalion command vehicles had TWO recievers AND two transmitters.

So you've still yet to put forward a credible argument that the FuG16/15 Radios were better than the FuG5. The rate and direction you're going I am just going to have to guess that you do not in fact have an argument other than your own belief.

Sorry But I'll take the word of Jentz and German Field manuals over your website anyday mate.

Back to the original question, I'm rather of the opinion there's been a goof on the crewing of the T34-85 M43 in the game. This is the initial production 85mm gun tank with the D-5T and the commander's cupola set farther forward than on the 'standard' T34-85 M44. The reason why the cupola's forward appears to be that the its still a two man turret(!) and the commander had to quickly slide from the cupola to the gunner's seat and back, like with the KV-1S.

At least that's according to an old report I once read on this topic.

That early T34s had only a 2 man turret was a matter of great consternation to the SOviets. in 1940, they acquired two Panzer IIIs and put them through a series of tests to stack up against the T34. They found that the PZIII was superior to the T34 in every aspect except gun size and armor

Well as a gamer, you might say "hey that's enough", but in reality it most certainly is not enough. The Mk III rode better, was more reliable and stable shooting platform, had superior optics, internal crew comms, was quieter and most importantly had a three-man turret crew.

You see, the two man T34 turret is essentially no better than a one man turret. The loader sits there loading the gun, and has some ability to spot, but it's up to the commander to pop his head out, spot targets, pop his head back in and then try to traverse the turret to face the target and accquire that target through the sight.

These comparative trials resulted to an immediate halt in the production of the T34 until a rediegn could be accomplished. This production halt was suspended when Germany attacked and the Russians went back to cranking out T34/76s until late 42-early 43 when T34s with the new designed turret started making themselves felt.

BTW valera's page has soem good details on various Russian tank designs:

Los

The Russian Battlefield

well time for another noob question :D

As i'm not a native english speaker and have no prior knowledge of tanks than through games

i keep wondering about this term:

copula

what is it? it seems to be something where crewmembers sit in but that all i can figure out

Do tanks go into battle with a loaded main gun?

Or do they wait until their first target to load the correct ammo HE/AP. Or do they go in with AP loaded and use it to shoot the first thing they see. And how does CM models this?

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year

A lot of armor terms date back to age of knights and castles. Both 'turret' and 'cupola' are words borrowed from castle construction. A building cupola is basically a lookout room perched at the top of a house. A tank cupola is that armored extension on the turret roof that a commander sits in to gain better situational awareness of the outside world.

Does a tank go into battle with its gun loaded? Most of the time yes, unless there's a safety consideration (the gun barrel striking an obstacle accidentally) or the crew are unsure of what sort of target will pop up. U.S. Sherman tankers learned from hard experience to keep a smoke shell chambered while traveling because they had so little faith in their anti-armor rounds if they stumbled on a Panther! In the game it wouldn't make much of a difference, since chambering a round just takes a matter of seconds.

The Stug III actually had a better layout than the T34/76. Both had 4 man vehicles but the Stug had a dedicated commander. He also had a reciever (one of two in the vehicle) next to his position. He could adjust this reciever as needed.

The gunner/driver were very close to each other in the Stug and worked to bring the vehicle to bear through voice and physical contact signals. The driver in the T34 was not that close and this further over burdened the commander.

The loader in the stug acted as a radio operator also. He had a reciever and transmitter by his station. He was also within close physical proximity to the commander. He could monitor a separate channel while the commander monitered another.