The Most Brutal Battle of the Eastern Front - Your Opinion

The Most Brutal Battles of The Eastern Front

I know that you ppl have a lot of readings on the battles of the Eastern Front. You all have your own mental images and visualizaitions of EF battles. What, in your opinion was the most brutal battle of the Eastern Front? Why do you think so? Enlighten us pls.

For me, it is, ofcourse, Inner City Stalingrad and the Cherkassy (Korshun) Pocket. The 700,000 dead of Leningrad also haunts me, but they weren't direct war casualties. Other incidents include the Zeelow Heights and one description of a AG Centre battle where German Medics, who went in to treat the wounded Russians were shot at. This shows the barbaricness if the war. The breakthrough of the German 9th Army also seems to me to be very desparate, though I have read little on it. Kursk will always be on my list of great battles, but Prokhorova for me will be brutal. Actually, I don't have much readings on

the Eastern Front. It fascinates me tremendously, but I haven't yet been able to find many literature on it here. I would have to look a bit more and hopefully I can find some more books.

It's your turn now!

Hard to say really. Stalingrad tends to stand out mostly because of its urban battles, which were fought at very close range. Overall, though I'd say the entire war was a very brutal war, because it was a war of extermination. Stalin, in a speech given in fall/winter of 1941 had already said something to the effect of "if it's a war of extermination you want, then you shall have it." A ghastly war really.

Originally posted by Grisha:

Hard to say really. Stalingrad tends to stand out mostly because of its urban battles, which were fought at very close range. Overall, though I'd say the entire war was a very brutal war, because it was a war of extermination. Stalin, in a speech given in fall/winter of 1941 had already said something to the effect of "if it's a war of extermination you want, then you shall have it." A ghastly war really.

Exactly. Unless someone wants to define "brutal" in a way that might help us better understand the question, the entire war could be categorized.

As far as "most significant", certainly Stalingrad and Kursk qualify. "Longest battle" might go to the Leningrad siege. "Most casualties" - perhaps a statistician could help out there. Would Berlin qualify?

Can't think of a battle that wouldn't qualify as "brutal". Or one that would qualify as "not brutal".

Can anyone identify a major Eastern Front battle (at least corps sized participants) in which the final outcome was seriously in doubt throughout? (ie either side may have prevailed, rather than the only doubt being how long it would take and how many people would die.) That might be more interesting.

[ September 28, 2003, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Exactly. Unless someone wants to define "brutal" in a way that might help us better understand the question, the entire war could be categorized
Maybe he means the place where we dont want to be at last...

I would say for myself, its in front of Moskow...without the proper clothes.. not to mention those boots with steel nails in it... :(

At all, to be wounded in the could is one of my nightmares...

According to MW online

Brutal: Typical of Beasts; grossly ruthless or unfeeling; harsh, severe; unpleasantly accurate or incisive.

By that definition, I'd say either Leningrad or Berlin, due to the number of civilians caught in the crossfire. Firing at soldiers is one thing, but harming civilians is another.

Phemur

Originally posted by Phemur:

According to MW online

Brutal: Typical of Beasts; grossly ruthless or unfeeling; harsh, severe; unpleasantly accurate or incisive.

By that definition, I'd say either Leningrad or Berlin, due to the number of civilians caught in the crossfire. Firing at soldiers is one thing, but harming civilians is another.

Phemur

Stalingrad was not evacuated until it was too late, and quite a number of civilians did not make it out at all, AFAIK.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Can anyone identify a major Eastern Front battle (at least corps sized participants) in which the final outcome was seriously in doubt throughout? (ie either side may have prevailed, rather than the only doubt being how long it would take and how many people would die.) That might be more interesting.

That's a tough one. I would say the battle of Tali-Ihantala (22nd June-15th July 1944) between the Soviet 21st Army and Finnish IV Corps. Especially in the early stages of the battle Finnish lines were constantly in a brink of a total collapse, allowing a decisive breakthrough for the 21st Army into inner Finland, but sufficient amount of Finnish reserves (especially artillery) made such efforts virtually impossible later.

Edited to add that the battle included a failed Finnish effort to besiege and eliminate the 30th Guards Rifle Corps against all odds... :eek:

[ October 06, 2003, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: Keke ]